XXIV

I DO NOT own the hobbit, the characters or their stories. I only own my OC character Nikoleva and her story

 I only own my OC character Nikoleva and her story

-

Hours later

"If you are going to do that, you could at least tell me what it is" Nikoleva snapped her head towards Kili who was throwing a carved stone in the air.

The brunette dwarf looked at her before repeating it. Once he caught it again, he spoke. "It is a token... A promise. My mother gave Fili and I both one"

The elleth looked at him in interest as she registered his answer.

"A promise... For what? "

"That we would return home to her," He answered with a smile. "It is carved with wordings of dwarvish" He showed her the markings.

"Innikh de" She read aloud. "Come back to me" She translated in a mutter. 

"You know dwarvish?"

 Nikoleva was to answer when a smirk fell on her lips as her ears twitched at the distant voice of another elf and dwarf. 

"It seems your brother has a thing for red haired elves" She spoke quietly as she took the red jewelled ring on her finger and played with it in her hands. 

"Huh?" 

She pointed to the direction of the other side of the cells, Kili turned his head to see his brother looking in awe towards Tauriel. 

"That stone in your hand, what is it?" She asked, looking at him in interest. 

"It is a talisman. A powerful spell lies upon it. If any but a dwarf reads the runes on this stone, they will be forever cursed." He held up the stone to her in a swift movement. She raised an eyebrow to him and began to walk off. "Or not, depending on whether you believe that kind of thing. It's just a token"

Tauriel stopped and smiled at him as he smiled back.

"It is a rune stone. My mother gave it to me so I would remember my promise," He added, looking down at the stone again.

"What promise?"

"That I will come back to her. She thinks I am reckless," He told her with a slight laugh.

"And are you?"

"Nah" He tossed it back up in the air, but this time he missed catching it and it rolled out of the cell next to her. Tauriel stopped it with my foot and picked it up as elves were heard laughing in the distance.

The red head examined it before handing him back the stone as she sat down on the step outside his cell. "It is Mereth-en-Gilith, the Feast of Starlight. All light is sacred to the Eldar, but Wood Elves love best the light of the stars"

"I always thought it is a cold light, remote and far away," He told Tauriel truthfully as he put the stone inside his pocket.

"It is memory, precious and pure. Like your promise," She looked up to the sky before speaking again. "I have walked there sometimes, beyond the forest and up into the night. I have seen the world fall away and the white light forever fill the air."

"I saw a fire moon once. It rose over the pass near Dunland, huge; red and gold it was, filled the sky. We were an escort for some merchants from Ered Luin, they were trading in Silverbuck for furs. We took the Greenway south, keeping the mountain to our left, and then, this huge fire moon, right in our path." He spoke with passion and happiness and he told her about his venture. 

"That..." Kili drifted off from what he was saying as he looked away and towards a snickering Nikoleva. "What?" 

"Nothing... Just wait" She stood up from her seating position and walked towards the cell door, she tilted her head so that she was facing the right. "It is not right to spy, princeling" 

"I-tir han-d nac e fern, au-d car" {The guard that you impaled is dead, if only you care} Legolas replied before muttering a small "Traitorous filth" Before walking away. 

"That is not very nice" She muttered in reply before spinning around and sitting next to the door. "I am not traitorous at all! I mean sometimes yes, but not all the times" She continued as the dwarf in front of her stared in confusion. 

"What did it say?" Kili asked as she looked to him with a sinister smile. 

"I slaughtered one of their guards, he is dead of course, I am surprised Thranduil isn't prancing down here himself and ordering my execution" she shrugged.

"You should not speak like that" 

"What? Death is a friend," He glanced at her in unease as she let out a soft laugh. "Dark humour, master dwarf. Get some rest, you look like you have been writhed through a bush" 

"So have you!" He laughed as he got a death glare in return. "Fine, fine. To sleep I go" Kili gave her a playful glare.