XLVI

I DO NOT own the hobbit, the characters or their stories. I only own my OC character Nikoleva and her story.

~

~

Later on that day, Bilbo had deserted the company of the dwarves and the elf, who he was most definitely avoiding, and was sat on a bench in a distant hall. He reaches into his coat pocket and pulls something out. Thorin, walking in an adjoining hallway, sees the action.

"What is that?" He demanded, walking over to him quickly. Bilbo rose, startled by his presence. "In your hand!?" 

"I-It's nothing" The hobbit stuttered, keeping the secret object behind his back. 

"Show me!" 

"It..." Bilbo looked up at him as he revealed what was in his right hand. It was an acorn. "I picked it up in Beorn's garden" He smiled. 

"You have carried it all this way" Thorin looked at him in shock as he nodded. 

"I'm going to plant it in my garden... In Bag End" 

The dwarven king smiled fondly at him, his anger slowly fading. "That is a poor price to take back to the Shire" 

"One day it'ill grow. And every time I look at it, I'll remember - Remember everything that happened, the good, the bad. And how lucky I am that I made it home." As Bilbo finished speaking the two settled in comfortable silence, smiling at each other. 

"Thorin I - "

"Thorin survivors... from Laketown" Dwalin walked up to them, cutting off Bilbo. "They are streaming into Dale. There are hundreds of them"

Thorin's smile faded as his eyes turned dark, and his face contoured emotionless. "Call everyone to the gate now" He began to walk away, his heavy footsteps echoing. "To the gate, now!

~

"What's going on?" Ori questioned as they watched Dwalin return with Thorin. He started to shout orders to everyone, who looked at him confused as to why he was threatened by the people of the lake. 

Soon the dwarves work to block up the entrance that Smaug broke through. They carry rocks both by hand and with the help of various pulleys and other machines.  

"I want this fortress made safe by sun up!" Thorin screamed watching them all work, well all apart from Nikoleva who was swinging her swords. "This mountain was hard won - I will not see it taken again!"

Kili who was holding onto a large wheelbarrow with Bilbo, dropped his end and walked past Nikoleva heading to his uncle. 

"The people of Laketown have nothing! They came to us in need! They have lost everything!" 

"Do not tell me what they have lost! I know well enough their hardship," Thorin glared back at him before turning to face Dale. "Those who have lived through dragon fire should rejoice. They have much to be grateful for" 

As he looked out towards the destroyed city, fires were beginning to be lit. "More stone" He muttered, turning to them. "Bring more stone to the gate!" As he shouted he began to load more stone onto the gate when a figure not doing anything caught his attention. 

"What are you doing, elf?!" He spat, causing the dwarves and Bilbo to stare at her. "Do you find yourself so different to us, that you can stand there doing nothing!" 

"I will not take orders from a mad king!" She hissed, sheathing her swords, glaring down at him. "I am not one to help people, but promises are different. You promised to help the people of the Lake, and yet here you are holding yourself in." They saw her bite her lip to prevent herself from saying anything else as Thorin scoffed. 

"You know nothing" He glared back and turned his head, looking around at the others. "I said we need more stone!