XXXIII

I DO NOT own the hobbit, the characters or their stories. I only own my OC character Nikoleva and her story

 I only own my OC character Nikoleva and her story

-

The company made a plan to break into the armoury and 'borrow' weapons. The plan was absurd and was sure to fail, as dwarves aren't exactly light on their feet or quiet when they speak. But of course they managed to assure the rest of them that they would be fine and out of there quickly.

So now, here they were standing inside the armoury. Picking weapons out and loading them into their arms. Nikoleva passed a handful of daggers onto Kili who then lowered them onto the floor next to Fili who was stationed next to the door. 

She noticed how Fili was swaying slightly and went to say something to him when Thorin pulled him aside.

"Are you alright?" He whispered in a low voice.

Fili nodded and got handed another sword. "I can manage, let's just get out of here" Thorin was going to hand him another, but he was barely holding onto the ones he had. 

"Uncle" Kili looked to him and then to his brother wearily, also noticing his failing stature 

Thorin looks at Kili, then lays another sword on the pile Fili is holding. Fili begins walking down the stairs, but his wounded leg gives way and he falls with a cry. The weapons make a terrible clanging noise, and the dwarves both inside and outside look around warily. In the distance, the watchmen cry out, and running footsteps approach. 

"Fuck! Go, run!" Nikoleva hissed at them. 

"Run!" 

The dwarves still outside begin to run, but are stopped by two watchmen pointing pikes at them. Bilbo and the dwarves in the armoury grab weapons, but several other guards point pikes at them too. 

"Let them go!" The elleth pulled out her sword and pointed it at one of the guards when Braga, the captain of the guard, is holding Kili with a dagger to his throat cleared his throat. 

"I would not do that, whore" 

"Leva" Kili gave her a pleading luck before she was pushed forward, and her sword knocked from her hand. 

"You're outnumbered, sweetheart"

"Take em' to the master!" 

The company was pushed through into the town centre where they were kept in a group in front of a battered looking mansion. 

"Get of me!" Dwalin snarled at one of the men as he tugged his arm away out of its grip. 

Lots of indistinct muttering and yelling filled the square as the town's people gathered to see the commotion. Alfrid closes the door and goes to get the master. As guards open the doors of the mansion, the Master storms out, still putting on his coat. "What is the meaning of this?" 

"We caught 'em stealing weapons, sire," Braga said with a smirk on his face.

"Ah! Enemies of the state, eh?" The master asked.

"A desperate bunch of mercenaries. If ever there was, sire" Alfrid came out and stood next to him with a smirk on his face, it was almost looking like a sneer.

"Hold your tongue!" Dwalin snarled, stepping in front of the group, pointing to where Thorin was stood. "You do not know to whom you speak. This is no common criminal. This is Thorin, son of Thrain, son of Thror!" He boasted as Thorin stepped forward, carefully looking around at the now shocked audience. '

"We are the dwarves of Erebor. We have come to reclaim our homeland. I remember this town and the great days of old. Fleets of boats lay at harbour, filled with silks and fine gems. This was no forsaken town on a lake! This was the centre of all trade in the North!" He started before facing the crowd as they nod in agreement. 

"I would see those days return. I would relight the great forges of the dwarves and send wealth and riches flowing once more from the halls of Erebor!" He shouted as the crowd cheered before he turned to look at the master.

"Death!" A voice called out as Bard pushed through the crowd, knocking Nikoleva into Kili as he advanced onto Thorin. "That is what you will bring upon us. Dragon-fire and ruin. If you awaken that beast, it will destroy us all!" 

"You can listen to this naysayer, but I promise you this; If we succeed, all will share in the wealth of the mountain. You will have enough gold to rebuild Esgaroth ten times over!" Thorin looked again at the town's people, who looked pleased and shouted in excitement once more.

"All of you! Listen to me, you must listen! Have you forgotten what happened to Dale? Have you forgotten those who died in the firestorm? And for what purpose?" As Bard said this, the townspeople looked down in grief and sadness. "The blind ambition of a Mountain King, so driven by greed, he could not see beyond his own desire" Thorin started to glare at Bard and he returned it. 

The crowd grew larger as the master stepped forward. "Now, now, we must not, any of us, be too quick to lay blame. Let us not forget that it was Girion, Lord of Dale, your ancestor, who failed to kill the beast!" The company looked at him in disbelief. 

"I am going to kill him!" Nikoleva hissed to Kili and Fili as she glared at Bard with such hatred. 

"It's true sire. We all know the story. Arrow by arrow he shot, each one missing its mark," Alfrid sneered at him.

"You have no right" Bard looked at Thorin. "You have no right to enter that mountain!" He added in a lesser voice.

"I have the only right" Thorin replied in the same level before turning to the master. "I speak to the Master of the men of the Lake. Will you see the prophecy fulfilled? Will you share in the great wealth of our people? What say you?" he asked in a strong voice.

"I say unto you... Welcome!" The master announced and the crowd cheered. "Welcome and thrice welcome! King under the Mountain!" The people cheered more apart from Bard and Thorin. 

"why should we take you at your word, eh? We don't know anything about you. Who here can vouch for your character?" Alfrid asked smirking, thinking he had started something when Bilbo put his hand up.

"Me. I'll vouch for him. Now, I have travelled with these dwarves through great danger, and If Thorin Oakenshield gives his word, then he will keep it" Bilbo stated and the townspeople cheered once more.