|| 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐋𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐒𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐰 ||

When Samsa got back to her apartment to pack for the mission, she was met with even more surprises. None other than Demora Sulu was sat up to the counter with a huge colouring sheet laid before her. The young girl grinned and beckoned her over.

"Demora! I didn't expect to see you," Samsa chuckled. She frowned, scanning the room for any sign of Mason.

"Papa is going to space again, so Daddy brought me here."

"Samsa!"

The Sanguine barely had the chance to turn around before Mason pulled her into a tight hug. She needed it. Tears wavered on the edge of her eyelids as she wrapped her arms around him.

"I'm so glad you're okay," Mason whispered, breaking away. He ensured his voice was low. "I heard about the mission. You're really going after this guy? What if Luna's there too?"

"Jim's determined after what happened to Pike. I'm planning to talk to him about it later," Samsa sighed but regained her smile. "So, I see you're on space fairy duty."

Mason nodded and curtseyed in his pink tutu and fairy wings. "Ben dropped her off about half an hour ago. He's sorting out more wedding plans today and since Hikaru's on helmsman duty, I said I'd look after her."

"Sorry I can't stay to be the space dragon," she pouted.

"No problem, Sams," he laughed. "The fairy and alien can fight the bad guys on their own, right Demora?"

"They sure can," she giggled.

"I can't wait to hear about all of your adventures when I get back," Samsa smiled. She looked back at her friend, noticing the shadows under his eyes. "Are you sure you're gonna be okay?"

Mason nodded, but the action wasn't very convincing. "I'm sure."

☆☆☆

After leaving the apartment with a duffel bag in hand, Samsa went straight to her medical exam. The results were far from perfect. In the words of Leonard McCoy, her blood pressure was 'through the damn roof'. The Doctor resorted to lecturing her all the way to the shuttle hanger.

"Bones, I'll be alright. This mission is the only way I'm going to get answers."

"I know, I know."

"I promise I won't make any rash decisions," Samsa said, meaning every word.

Leonard cast her a sideways glance and sighed. "It's not just you that I'm worried about."

She knew who he was referring to. Strangely enough, that very person was a few feet ahead of them, heading towards a parked shuttle.

"Speak of the devil," Bones muttered, picking up the pace. "Jim! Where were you?"

"For what?" He answered, nonchalantly.

"Your medical exam. Ten hours ago, you were in a damn firefight. Now, it's my duty as ship's doctor-"

"I'm fine, Bones." Jim halted in his step, spinning to face them.

"The hell you are," Leonard warned.

The tired Captain shifted his gaze and met Samsa's eyes. She wanted to scold him for skipping his medical examination but she knew the stress he was under.

"I'm fine," he insisted, before heading onto the shuttle.

Bones shook his head in annoyance, prompting Samsa to put a hand on his arm.

"He'll come around," she said. "He's just not himself at the moment."

The Doctor nodded and they both followed Jim's example. They took their seats behind Jim and Spock, just as the Vulcan was giving a status update.