|| 𝐉𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐋𝐞𝐭 𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐦 𝐋𝐢𝐯𝐞 ||

Samsa felt extremely tense all the way up to deck seven. She kept a wary eye on Khan, hoping to catch a break in his expression: anything to suggest he'd been lying. However, the man's face remained blank as they walked in silence.

Leonard looked outraged when they entered the Medbay followed by a sea of Security Officers. "What in God's name is he doing here?"

"Captain's orders," Samsa said. "It's too complicated to explain why."

"Dammit, Blondie, I'm a Doctor. Not a prison ward!"

Under other circumstances, the Sanguine would have probably laughed but there was too much going through her mind. "Let's just say he's not who we thought he was."

With that, she made her way over to where Khan was now sat on a spare bed. His back was incredibly straight as if waiting for the opportune moment to strike.

"Did she...did she suffer?" Samsa asked the question before she could stop herself.

Khan met her gaze. "She wanted to tell you the truth. But Marcus used various methods to ensure that never happened."

Even though he let very little emotion bleed into his tone, there was a darkness in his eyes. This was a man who had been through hell. Samsa almost felt sorry for him.

Over the past few days, he'd done terrible things and hurt so many people. Those actions were inexcusable but...as long as his violent techniques were a thing of the past, Samsa was willing to see his side of the story.

All the screens in the Medbay flickered as an incoming signal was broadcasted across the ship. Admiral Marcus became visible, sat in a Captain's chair. He wore a dark blue Section Thirty-One uniform.

Carol furrowed her eyebrows and took a few steps towards the screen. "Dad?" She murmured under her breath.

Samsa felt a huge wave of sympathy for the woman. She had no idea what her father had done.

"Captain Kirk," he greeted with a nod.

"Admiral Marcus, I wasn't expecting you," Jim's voice responded. "That's a hell of a ship you got there."

"And I wasn't expecting to get word that you've taken Harrison into custody in violation of your orders."

"Well, we err, we had to improvise when our warp core unexpectedly malfunctioned. But you already knew that, didn't you, Sir?"

"I don't take your meaning."

"Well, that's why you're here, isn't it? To assist with our repairs? Why else would the head of Starfleet personally come to the edge of the neutral zone?"

"Samsa, what's going on?"

The Sanguine turned to see Carol staring at her with wide, glassy eyes. How did she even begin to explain?

"Is there something I can help you find, Sir?"

"Where is your prisoner, Kirk?"

Samsa glanced at Khan to see him tilt his head to the side, probably curious as to what Jim's answer would be.

"Per Starfleet Regulation, I'm planning on returning Khan to Earth to stand trial."

"Well, shit," Marcus sighed, scratching his head. "You talked to him. That's exactly what I was hoping to spare you from. I took a tactical risk and I woke that bastard up, believing that his superior intelligence could help us protect ourselves from whatever came at us next." He leant forward in his seat. "But I made a mistake, and now the blood of everybody he's killed is on my hands."