|| 𝐒𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐄𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐬 ||

Luna had been on edge since arriving back at the Io Facility. They had a plan. Executing it was the issue. She was unsure about whether to place her full trust in Khan while they stood at one of the desks in the lab.

She could tell he felt the same way about her. Yet, there was something that drew her to him, like a magnetic pull. She felt they were similar people: someone thought to be a killing machine, just wanting to protect their families.

Luna kept a wary eye on the Security Officer stationed at the door, while she and Khan browsed Marcus' restricted files. He seemed to know what he was doing. After all, he'd had several months to become accustomed to Section Thirty-One's operations.

"As I suspected," he said, lowly. "My crew are being kept in the secret base in London, which is also the production site of our prototype torpedoes."

The Sanguine barely registered his words, her eyes still glued to the guard watching their every move. She dreaded the consequences if Marcus discovered she was protecting a memory-restored Khan Noonien Singh.

"Luna? Are you listening?"

"Sorry?" She looked up at him, scratching her arm.

Khan followed her line of sight and narrowed his eyes. "You're concerned about the guard?"

"We get caught, that's it. Game over."

"If he grows suspicious, just compel him."

"I can't," she hissed. "I'll have to feed first and it's too risky in such an open place."

"Have you smoked this morning?"

"How, in the name of the Founders, is that relevant?"

Khan rolled his eyes. "Just answer the question."

"Yes."

"In that case, you're right."

He continued to tinker with the datapad, while Luna grimaced, shaking her head in confusion.

"What are you talking about?"

"Since Marcus gave you those cigarettes, your compulsion hasn't worked."

The realisation hit her like a ton of bricks. Many years ago, Jared had developed a drug that momentarily disabled the ability to compel. Marcus must have added the formula to every pack he gave her.

Luna shut her eyes and ground her teeth together. "The fucking cigarettes," she cursed, balling her hands into fists before turning to Khan. "When were you gonna tell me this?"

"I thought it was obvious."

"Brilliant," she scoffed, looking down.

But maybe he was right? How could she have been so oblivious? Tears burned her throat, but she refused to let them fall.

A cold hand suddenly curled around her own. Luna found comfort in the touch, meeting Khan's eyes.

He bent down so his mouth was inches away from her ear, causing goosebumps to form across her skin.

"Marcus will get what he deserves, I'll make sure of it."

After a moment, she nodded and forced a brief smile.

"Until then," Khan began. "I have an idea."

☆☆☆

Mason was having a lot of fun shifting through the box of Samsa's possessions. She'd given him permission on one condition: he couldn't read any of her old diaries without getting her consent first.