|| 𝐅𝐨𝐫𝐠𝐞𝐭 𝐌𝐞 𝐍𝐨𝐭𝐬 ||

As soon as a proximity alert was announced, Jim Kirk felt a tinge of hope lighten his chest. Starfleet reinforcements were here. They had a chance. He tore his eyes away from Cecily's body and began to retreat down the corridor. Spock fell into step beside him, with Luna following closely behind.

"Captain, even with Starfleet personnel arriving as a backup, we still need to be prepared for resistance."

"That's what worries me," Jim sighed. "At least we don't have to surrender anymore. I just hope Uhura and Chekov are alright."

They rounded the corner to see Bones finishing up his final checks on the Romulan they bumped into. At least, Jim guessed she was Romulan because of the visible emotions she expressed. The question was, where did Jared find someone of her species?

"Captain." Sulu had been keeping an eye on William, but perked up when he saw them approaching. "What's the plan?"

"Now that backup has arrived, we need to ensure that Uhura and Chekov remain unharmed," Jim began, turning to his First Officer. "Spock, you go to the control room. That way we definitely have someone surveying the entire base. Sulu, get to the cells, free anyone being held captive and contact Mister Scott to have them beamed out."

"I'll go too," Benita said. The woman got to her feet, wobbling slightly as she did so. Bones held his hands out just in case, but she managed to steady herself. "I'll help in any way I can."

Jim glanced at his Chief Medical Officer to see McCoy give the nod of approval. He cast the Romulan a grateful smile before continuing with his instructions. "Heath, you can make yourself useful and go with them too."

"Guess that means you and I are going after Blondie?" Bones presumed, packing the medical supplies he used into a satchel bag.

Jim went to reply when a voice sounded through the speakers in the hallway.

"Captain, it's Uhura! We're okay, but Jared's gone. He left the control room and took Samsa with him. They're headed to the shipyard."

Never had the feeling of relief turned to dread so quickly. Jim was glad his crewmates were safe but concern for Samsa twisted deep within his gut.

"He is most likely aiming to take Doctor Gillian to another base," Spock said.

"Let him try," Bones scoffed, anger tinting his tone.

"We need to catch him before it's too late." Jim rushed through his words and turned to address Luna, but the Sanguine was nowhere to be seen.

☆☆☆

Samsa felt like she was floating. Her vision tipped and swirled. The corridor ahead was revolving. She begged for the hallucinations to stop. It was hopeless. Different voices called her name. They never ceased, regardless of how many times she cried for them to do so.

Someone had hold of her arm. Their grip resembled stone: cold and harsh.

Tears felt freezing against her fever-ridden skin. With every step, it grew harder to breathe. At one point, Samsa collided with the floor, unable to carry on. The cool tiles were a welcome sensation. Nausea shuddered through her body, causing a whimper of pain to escape her lips.

"Get up!"

The voice was not a friendly one. It was sharp and threatening. Samsa ignored it and tried to focus on taking deep breaths but there was no point. Her chest burned, as though she were inhaling shards of glass.

"Samsa, Darling, it's alright."

Patsy's words eased the pain slightly. Her tone was angelic. Samsa lifted her head to see the woman she once loved more than anything. Ginger locks shaped her beautiful face. And those eyes...she had missed them so much. They were the colour of Forget Me Nots. Such a gentle, loving flower.