|| 𝐀𝐧 𝐔𝐧𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐆𝐮𝐞𝐬𝐭 ||

Oh, Luna, the Federation funds my organisation.

Those words were revolving around Luna's head, impossible to control. The possibility that she was standing amongst people who assisted Jared's so-called research techniques was sickening.

She took a deep breath and dragged her eyes over the surrounding Starfleet personnel. Some returned her gaze, fear resonating in their pupils. They were right to be afraid. If what Jared said was true, there was no telling what Luna would do in retaliation.

"What?" Kirk spat, shaking his head. "That's a lie."

Luna watched the Captain carefully. If she was being honest, he looked just as shocked as she felt.

"You underestimate how far Starfleet is willing to go when it comes to discovery in the name science." Jared flashed a confident smirk and shrugged.

He had to be lying. He just had to be. And yet, his tone was so definitive.

"I wouldn't call exploiting a species' natural attributes while holding them under inhumane conditions 'discovery in the name of science'." The Vulcan took a step forward, his eyes cold and disturbed as they bore into the screen.

Luna was quite surprised he chose to speak up with such passion. Vulcans were meant to be emotionless. There was something about this one, in particular, that was like nothing she had ever seen before.

"Speaking of which, I'm going to need your sister now, Luna."

"Good luck with that," she scoffed. "To get her, you'll have to go through me."

Jared pursed his lips and sighed sarcastically. "Ah well," he mused. "I suppose there are other Sanguines I could use."

Luna could have been shot and she wouldn't have blinked. She was too busy holding back tears. "Other...other Sanguines." Even repeating the words was difficult. Luna had only dreamed of finding other members of their kind. The thought that there was even the slightest chance she and Samsa weren't alone was intoxicating.

"That's right. Give me your sister's location and I'll tell you where you can find them."

"No." Luna shook her head, causing a single tear to roll down her cheek. "No. You're lying. I was there when my planet burned. Don't...don't you dare lie to me about that. Don't you ever dare."

"Luna...I'm telling the truth."

When she looked into Jared's eyes, she didn't see the man who tortured her for years. She didn't see the man who manipulated her. She saw the cellmate who had helped her through sleepless nights. The cellmate she had once trusted implicitly.

A shuffle of movement pulled her from her thoughts. It was Kirk.

He was now closer and facing away from the screen. "Remember what you told me. He's manipulating you. You can't trust him."

He was right. For some reason, it angered her. "I know." Her tone was sharp. She took several steps forward and stood tall as she looked Jared up and down. "No deals. No exchanges. Samsa is staying right here. And if I were you, I wouldn't underestimate the things I will do to anyone who so much as lays a finger on her."

"Is that so?" Jared's eyes narrowed ever so slightly, but he seemed more amused than threatened.

A sudden shrill alarm could be heard and a female lieutenant spoke up from behind. "Captain, there's been a security breach in the med bay."

Luna felt her stomach clench. A security breach in the med bay? It had to be Samsa.

"I warned you what would happen if you didn't cooperate," Jared said. "Captain Kirk, I do apologise for the damage done to your warp core. I hope you understand, I needed a backup option in case Luna didn't make the right choice."