|| 𝐇𝐢𝐬 𝐁𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐝 ||

Two Years Earlier - Stardate 2255 - The First Day at the Academy

Eventually, Samsa managed to push the incident at lunch to the back of her mind and enjoy herself. Quite a number of cadets had gathered in the Golden Gate Bar to celebrate their first day at the Academy. She, Mason, Kirk and McCoy were stood around a table.

"Here's to not dying on that shuttle," Samsa grinned, raising her beverage.

"I'll drink to that," McCoy tapped his glass against her own with a smirk.

Boy, did they drink. After an hour or two, both Mason and McCoy were dancing rather precariously to the thumping music playing. Samsa did enjoy watching and dancing with them, but eventually the mass of bodies in the room got a bit too much for her. She made the excuse of needing some air and headed to the back door.

The bar was on the edge of the bay that overlooked the glistening city. All of the lights from skyscrapers were reflected in the dark waters. There was a group of seats sheltered by large canapes which Samsa glided towards and settled down, listening to the water lapping at the shore.

"You feeling alright, Dollface?" Kirk exited the bar, approaching with his hands shoved in the pockets of his jeans.

"Yeah, it's just a bit warm and crowded in there," she smiled. "Though, I do regret missing the talent Mason and McCoy are showing off on the dance floor."

That comment received a snort from Kirk. "Yeah, I'm not a big fan of that kind of dancing," he smirked.

Samsa quirked an eyebrow. "What do you like then?" She asked, curiously.

Kirk shrugged, holding out his hand. "I'll show you."

"Smooth," Samsa giggled, shaking her head. "Very smooth."

She took his hand, allowing him to pull her up. He guided her arms to his neck, and let his own hover at her waist as they began to sway from side to side.

"Bet you make this move with all the girls."

"Oh, all of them," he confirmed, jokingly. "I never asked earlier, what are you studying for the next three years?"

"Psychology and Mental Health studies," she replied. "I hope to be a Counsellor on a star ship someday."

"That explains the shuttle then," Kirk said with a smile.

"What about it?"

"When you helped McCoy, you seemed to know exactly what to do. I can already tell you'll be great at your job."

Again, Samsa found herself blushing in his company. There was just something about this man that she couldn't put her finger on. It usually took a long time for her to trust a person. This felt...different.

"Thank you," she whispered before clearing her throat. "So, what about you?"

"Honestly, Dollface, not a clue." He looked down at her. There was a mischievous glint in his eye. "What do you think I should study?"

"Maybe...maybe follow in your father's footsteps," Samsa said, rather breathless.

Their faces were dangerously close. She wanted to kiss him. Maybe it was the alcohol in her system, but she felt such a strong pull. There was a pound of longing echoing around her head.

No. That pounding was a heartbeat. It was the sound of blood pumping through an artery. His blood. Samsa swallowed, feeling her hunger slowly increase. Just before their lips went to meet, she conjured the strength to push herself away and stumble backwards.