|| 𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐁𝐲 𝐌𝐞 ||

Jim found himself grinning once again as he watched Samsa on the dance floor. She was wearing the biggest, most beautiful smile while she moved in time to the music. Her hair had fallen out of its curls and spilt over her shoulders with the amount she had been dancing. Seeing her happy was enough to release a swarm of butterflies in his stomach.

"You know, you never told me how the other night went." Bones appeared at his side, taking a sip of the drink in his hand and gesturing in Samsa's direction. "Did you two get a chance to talk?"

"Yeah, I guess we did," Jim said. He cleared his throat and tore his eyes away from the Blonde.

Bones raised his eyebrows expectantly. "And...?"

"Nothing happened really."

"Nothing happened?" The Doctor scoffed. "Look, I'm no relationship expert but I've seen the way you two look at each other. Hell, everyone has. Now, Samsa might have forever, but you certainly don't. The question is, what're you waiting for?"

Jim sighed and forced a smile. Bones had a very good point. What was he waiting for?

He went to reply when his communicator beeped in his back pocket. After excusing himself from his friend's company, he made his way through the side exit onto the decking outside.

It was a call from Pike to say there was another meeting tomorrow concerning the fate of the Wise Organisation and the steps towards dismantling it. There were still countless bases and many trade lines left to be accounted for. This was far from over.

He leant against the railing and stared across the waters, finding some comfort in the sounds of the city. This was disrupted, however, when the door to the bar opened behind him. Jim expected it to be Bones, possibly eager to continue their conversation, but a feminine giggle proved him wrong.

"Thought I saw you sneak out here." It was Samsa. She came wobbling over, wearing only one heel. The other was dangling from her fingers by the strap. It was clear she had consumed more drinks since they last spoke.

"Having a break from dancing, are you?" Jim chuckled.

"You could say that," she smirked. "Goodness gracious, my feet are killing me." She struggled to get the other shoe off for a moment before Jim intervened.

"Come here, Dollface." He guided her over to the seating area and sat her down. A comfortable silence fell between them as he gently removed her remaining heel.

"Why are you out here, Jim?"

"I had to take a call. Nothing to worry about," he said, sitting next to her. "Just a warning about some future meetings."

"Right." She nodded before facing him with glistening eyes. "Do you...do you remember the night we danced out here?"

"I do," Jim smiled.

"We almost had our first kiss as well." Samsa reached out for his hand, tangling their fingers together.

The touch caused Jim to inhale sharply. Her skin felt warm and soft. It felt like home. He met her gaze again and nodded. "I'm glad we didn't. It was nice to save it."

She smiled and looked down. "I...I heard what you and Leonard were talking about. I couldn't help listening in. I'm sorry."

"What did you think?" Jim felt nervous to hear the answer. He searched her face, trying to decipher what she was feeling.

"I...I want this," she began, tightening her grip on his hand. "I want this more than anything, but I have done so much to hurt you in the past."

"Sam, it's-"