|| 𝐁𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐭 ||

Five Months Later

Stardate: 2259, New Year - The Golden Gate Bar, San Francisco

"Ten! Nine! Eight! Seven! Six! Five! Four! Three! Two! One...Happy New Year!"

The entire bar erupted with cheers and laughter as the clock struck midnight. Drinks were raised and hugs shared as tremendous blasts from fireworks over the bay caused a kaleidoscope of colours to dart across the ceiling.

Samsa couldn't help snorting with laughter as Mason recovered from yet another Jaeger Bomb.

"Jesus on a bicycle." He made a string of unintelligible noises, squeezing his eyes shut. "That was disgusting."

"You've already failed your New Year's resolution," Samsa giggled.

"Less drinking starts tomorrow."

"Technically, it is tomorrow."

Mason rolled his eyes but smiled anyway. "Point taken."

They had decided to come back to San Francisco for the Holidays, simply because they missed it. The past few months had been quite eventful. Samsa chose to take her best friend on a tour of homes that she and Luna lived in before her disappearance.

Their trips involved recovering old diaries and other possessions that Samsa had left stashed in safe places decades ago.

At the same time, Mason also managed to get some much-needed rest after the poisoning ordeal.

"Happy New Year, you two!" Bones popped up between them, slinging his arms around their shoulders.

"Happy New Year, Leonard," Samsa grinned. "Where's Jim?"

"Gone to get the next round with Scotty. You joining us?"

"Will Spock be there?" Mason asked, glancing around the bar. "I've not seen him tonight."

"Nah." Bones shook his head, beginning to imitate the Vulcan. "He said 'it's not logical to celebrate something that occurs every night anyway'."

"Fair enough," Samsa chuckled.

She glanced down at her communicator as they headed to a free table in the corner. Goodness knows whether Luna would be awake depending on what time zone she was in. They had talked almost every day for the last five months. Samsa was determined not to break that streak.

"I'm sure your sister's having her own celebration wherever she is," Bones smiled.

Samsa returned the expression. He must have clocked what she was thinking.

"Do you know how much longer she's got up there?" Mason suddenly asked.

Samsa shook her head. "No idea. But she promised me she'd be on her very best behaviour. She...she'll be allowed to come home soon. I'm sure of it."

☆☆☆

Luna savoured the taste of blood pooling into her mouth. Her hunger was already satisfied but she didn't stop. It felt good. Maybe too good.

She had one hand clamped over the Ensign's mouth to prevent any screams. Compulsion before feeding was still temperamental. It made the whole process harder, but at least she didn't have to worry about Marcus catching her.

After taking what she wanted, Luna pulled back and compelled her victim to stay quiet before healing the wound. "Forget this ever happened and carry on with your day."

Once the Ensign was out of sight, Luna licked her blood-stained lips and retrieved her communicator. "Lunch break's over. Floor Seven. I'm in the maintenance cupboard on the East corridor." She headed out and made eye contact with the security camera.