|| 𝐈 𝐖𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐈𝐭 𝐓𝐨 𝐁𝐞 𝐌𝐞 ||

Luna scowled at the Security Officer watching her every move from the corner of the lab. Her fingers twitched to grip the scalpel up her sleeve, but she refrained from acting on her anger, instead choosing to focus on the datapad in her hand. She would much rather have Cassian supervising her.

Over the past few days, Luna had been investigating how Marcus managed to resist her compulsion. So far, she'd been met with more questions than answers. It would take a lot more than rummaging through Section Thirty-One data files to discover the truth.

Luna pursed her lips and glanced at John. He was engrossed in his work, making adjustments to a set of blueprints that Marcus gave him earlier that week. It had been this way for three days. He believed this was, and always had been his job. His life.

The Sanguine hopped off her lab stool and retrieved her pack of cigarettes, placing one between her teeth. "I'm going for a smoke," she announced, heading for the exit.

"I can't let you do that." The Security Officer moved to block her path, his hand teasing the phaser on his belt.

Luna clicked her tongue in annoyance. "Why ever not?"

"I've been instructed by Admiral Marcus to keep you in sight at all times."

"Is that so," she said through gritted teeth.

"I'm sure Marcus wouldn't mind if I accompanied Miss Gillian." A new voice joined the conflict. John came to stand beside her.

The Security Officer glanced in his direction, fear dilating his pupils. He knew what this man could be capable of. Swallowing thickly, he stepped aside. "Very well."

Luna winked at the guard as she strode past. "Thanks for that," she said as they entered the turbolift.

"My pleasure," John replied, his lip curling at the corner.

They travelled down to the lower levels where Luna's smoking room was. It was definitely her favourite spot. Aside from the lab, it was where she spent her time.

She skipped over to the large sofa and flopped down, lighting her cigarette. "How's your work coming along?"

"It's getting there," John said. He sat on the sofa opposite, his eyes fixed on her.

Luna noticed how they glinted in the darkness of the room. Being alone with him was rather exhilarating. She was well aware of the danger he posed with his memories restored. Without them, however, he seemed so calm and emotionless.

"The other day, before the tour, you said you had some questions for me." She took a drag of her cigarette and blew a plume of smoke into the air.

"I read about what happened on Traigon and Motclan two weeks ago. That's the reason you're here, isn't it?"

"Unfortunately."

"Sanguines have the power to get whatever they want. You could certainly best everyone on this station in combat. So tell me," John paused and leant forward. "Why don't you run?"

Luna smirked. "Interesting that you assume I want to."

"Wouldn't you rather be with your sister?"

"I would," she nodded. "But there are some things I need to do to keep her out of danger."

"Surely you're both safe now that Jared is gone."

"Gone?" Luna echoed, her brows creasing.

John tilted his head slightly, sitting up. "You don't know? Jared was found murdered in his cell three days ago."

Murdered?

Luna was unsure how to react. She rubbed her arm and turned to the cigarette for comfort. "Do they...do they know who did it?"