Chapter Fifteen

Esmere

After yawning from just waking up, I had slipped on a clean pair a clothes and want to the kitchen to get a glass of water. The sun was barely up yet but it was already warm enough for it to feel like it was the middle of the day.
"I'm surprised you're up this early, Esmere." Said Aunt Rey as she entered the kitchen, her hair not in her three buns but flowing freely.
"I always get up earlier than everyone else." I shrugged. "So when do I get to do the test?"
"I can test you now. Come." I nodded and got up to follow her out to the open area where there now was one of those glass panels that Gavon had but it looked way older. I guess that I would need to sit for this so I sat with my legs crossed and she did the same in front of me then picked up the glass panel. "What is that thing?" I asked.
"It's called a Datapad." She answered, flipping through it like pages in a book. "I know, I was confused when I first saw one too. They are sort of confusing at first." Aunt Rey looked up for a moment and grinned then went back to searching through the Datapad and setting it back down. "Alright, there are three ways to test; taking a blood sample to see a midi-chlorian count, but I don't have the equipment for that so I will using the other two. The first one requires me to use the force on a certain part of your brain to see the reaction; the second will have a series of pictures and you have to sense what they are without looking. Let's start with the first one. May I?" Aunt Rey reached out her hands and I nodded, leaning my head forward for her to hold (and though it was warm out, her metal hand was cold). I closed my eyes as I felt a sort a penatration into my mind and just like her touch, it was gentle. At first there was a slight ringing but it faded away quickly.
I don't know how much time pasted but it must have only been a few minutes.
Then I yelped when the back of my brain pulsed heavy and I backed away quickly, rubbing the back of my head where the pulse came from.
Aunt Rey looked surprised yet... impressed.
"I-I'm sorry, it just hurt-" I stuttered.
"No, don't be, you're doing amazing so far! Here, I'll be a bit more careful this time, and it's natural for it to hurt a little but if it hurts too much then just squeeze my wrists as tight as you can, alright?" Aunt Rey reassured me as I sat back up and let her hold my head again and I held onto her wrists. "Take a deep breath, Esmere." I obeyed then closed my eyes once more.
I heard the ringing again except it was louder though it sounded so far away and the pulses came back sharper, and quicker. I regulated my breathing in the way Dad taught me how for when I run in hopes that it would ease the pain of the pulsing.
Ever since I was little I've had some problems with my breathing and it didn't help that I love to run, that's why he taught me, so I wouldn't hurt myself.

But this time, I sorta used it differently. I don't know how to explain it.
Thankfully it worked, they were now less painful and I could focus on being calm. It was surprising that it was comforting.
I could feel everything around me and its essence, even if it was mostly sand.
My heart beat was a prominent thing that I could hear but I could also hear hers.
After a few more minutes, Aunt Rey pulled away and I opened my eyes.
"You did great, Esmere." She smiled softly. "Ready for the next test?"
"Yeah." I grinned back.
She picked up the Datapad and brought up something on the screen. "This one you have to reach out with your feelings, use your senses like you did just now, so you can tell me what each picture is. You might want to turn around for me."
I nodded and turned so my back faced her. I calmed myself, closing my eyes again.
Like she said, I let my senses roam until I could sort of sense her so I focused on what feelings she gave off.
"It's a ship." I said, confident in my answer.

"Next one?"
She changed the picture and it was a little harder to identify.

"Uh... It's a power drill."

This went on for a while, some being repeated, and each time it'd get easier.
When we were finally finished she had me turn back around.
"Esmere, you really are one of the most patient people I have ever met, and you did so well. Are you ready for your answer?"
"Yes, I am." I sat up straight in anticipation.