Chapter Four: A Common Enemy

❤️‍🔥Sin❤️‍🔥

Something was off-putting about Ares, I've never had someone be able to find me if I didn't want to be found. Over the past month, the man has been in one place or another, in physical being or my head. I couldn't get those blue orbs out of my head, like a brand.
"Major, seek." I unclip his leash and watch him search for the gun and drugs I wrapped in one of the shirts I stole from Doreen's house and doused it in lemon before digging It a few feet into the earth. It was well into three in the morning, decided to go to a different park to avoid a certain mafia king, but he seemed to be doing the complete opposite.
"You seem to like the nighttime, little fox." The name makes my stomach twist, the hairs on the back of my neck stand on attention as I register his powerful presence behind me.
"And you are very persistent." I turn my back towards the tree nearby, Ares stands a few feet away, a frown settled into his face. It's weird not seeing his usual smirk in place, tossing a glance to Major who is getting closer to the bait.

"I don't want you to work for me, I want to help you. Something about a list?" My entire being seizes up as I narrow my gaze onto Ares, biting the inside of my cheek to stop myself from saying something that will do more harm than good.
"If the rumors are true, some of the names in that list are high-class members of the community. Not something that goes unnoticed by the public eye."
I smirk at his words, although humorless.
I knew what was on the line when I decided that day, I knew it could only end in two ways. In one, I have my revenge and can finally wash my hands clean of it all, in the other, I'm finally at peace.
"You underestimate me, Don Ares."
Something rumbles deep in his chest, blue eyes narrowing into slits.
"One should never underestimate the Fox, it's sly and could be deadly." He steps closer, eyes pinning me to my spot like darts on aboard. His husky scent and mint invade my senses, he towers over me by at least a foot and a half, craning my neck to look up at him.
"I-"
Major barks three times and I realize how quickly I forgot what I was doing.
"Major, come." Like the good dog he is, he brings over the pouch. I can feel Ares's curious gaze and Major seems just as curious about him, large ears flopping to the side as he tilts his head at Ares, who mimics.
"Cute mutt." He murmurs.
"Call him a mutt again and you'll have one less limb to worry about." I snapped, reaching down to rub behind Majors' ears.

"What's in the pouch." Ares kicks at it with the tip of the pack with his toe, tone light with curiosity now.
I shrug carelessly, thrusting the wrap in his hands.
"Training tools." I watch in silence as he stares at the small bag of cocaine and the handgun, then he slides his gaze over to me.
"Little fox, you come out here in the middle of the night to train your dog?" I frown at the way he says it.
"I don't like crowds and I have my pistol just in case." I find myself answering him, not sure why, I frown deeper at the confusion starting to waft through me like an open door in an abandoned house. I don't look up but from the corner of my eye, I see Ares squat to my height, as much as possible, gently placing a hand in front of Major to sniff waiting for approval before rubbing his thick fingers through his coat.
"Little fox, what am I going to do with you?" The words strike at the walls I've spent years building around myself. But they were softly spoken as if they weren't meant for my ears so I acted accordingly.
"What rumors?" I opt for an easy out, and he takes the bait.
"Just some chatter in the police station about the murders, the evidence or lack of in your case and the motivation." His tone is accusing again and I realize Ares will keep asking hard questions, the man was dangerous. Prying and digging his way through with force.
Clamming up, I latch on Majors leash, tugging slightly as I stand. Ares doesn't at first, still giving Major pets. I scowl, traitor.
"I have to go," I announce when he doesn't make a move to stand or stop petting Major.
"I'll drive you." That was the last thing I had expected him to say. Rising to his towering height, eyes boring into me. A shiver wracks my body at the thought of being trapped in a prison on wheels, let alone with Ares. A man is hellbent on putting himself directly into my shit storm.
"What do you want from me?" I finally step back, realization on what this situation can lead to crawls up my back like a spider. My fingers wrap around the blade in my hoodie pocket, eyes narrowing in on his every move.
He was massive and undoubtedly strong. His biceps were as big as my head and if I wasn't careful he could snap my neck like a twig. I grip Majors leash a little tighter, tension rolling into the balls of my feet. If it came to it, I'd run, I wasn't prepared to fight this beast. Let alone allow him to hurt Major. I'm sure as a Don of the mafia he wouldn't be stupid or arrogant enough to travel in the middle of the night alone or was he?

"I believe we have a common enemy. Quite powerful but with your, skillset and my manpower, the job will be much easier." He says it with an impassive expression, hands stuffed into his slacks.

"I told you I don't need a partner." My words are firm but my insides waver at the sly smirk that slithers into place. Swallowing thickly I tug on Majors leash and he stands, shaking the dead leaves from his fur.

"See you soon, little fox." He turns on the heel of his expensive leather shoes, crunching the earth under his massive steps as he walks away. Moonlight shining off his retreating figure creating a castling shadow through the trees. Then he disappears completely, my thoughts swirling with a million different questions as Major and I rush home.

Tossing glances over my shoulder, staring hard into the shadows of alleyways to be sure a certain mafioso wasn't following me. I let out a deep breath when I finally reach my apartment, the door slams shut behind me as I lean into it, sliding all the locks in place.
"Go play buddy." I unclip Majors leash, kicking off my shoes I turn the left one over and the piece of paper drops into my hand. Stomping over To my wall of chaos, I stare at the five headshots, the five people left on my kill list.

Ares was right when he said some of them were mixed into politics, holding high ranks because of their wealth. But none of them look like the type of people to get entwined with someone like Ares, yet again they never seemed like to get joy and pleasure from the torture and pain of a little girl.
I find myself glaring into the photos as if one of them would start talking and tell me what their connection was to Ares. Be even better if they could tell me why I cared what the connection was, it wasn't like me to be interested in other businesses. Yes I was an assassin, sometimes for hire but I never asked for details and I never work contracted jobs.
Because if you truly want someone dead you use a bullet, if you want to hurt them, you play the men's games, draw the illusions.

Many times people have draw illusions around me and I have fallen for it.