Chapter Forty Nine: For forever and a Day

"Sergio." All the years Nevaeh had been married to her husband, he had never raised his voice to her nor his hand, he never cheat and he never let her go to bed upset. He had been a good husband, he only wanted to give her more than she had growing up.

He had only meant to be a good husband again.

He had never thought it would destroy his children in the process.

"Sergio, what did you do?" His wife's broken voice comes again, cutting through the dimness of his cold home office. The floor creeks loudly as she steps closer and his eyes finally raise from the glass of swirling vodka.

"What had to be done." Is his vague reply.

"Athena's left her room bare and I heard the guards say that young boy Armando was killed by the docks last night. Sergio, you need to stop this befor-"

"I am only doing what I have too."

"Is this war worth tearing our family apart? Because that's what will happen Sergio, one of you will end up dead or our children will resent us forever. Please I'm begging you, I don't want this I just want my family again." Time away had given Nevaeh voice a seeming permanent begging tone, her husband sighed, she didn't need to beg him. He'd give her anything in the world.

"I just want to give you the world, Angel." Nevaeh only scoffs at rubbish words. Walking close enough to grab his face and pull his gaze up from the floor and into her eyes.

"You and our children are my world. I don't need anything else." Sergio felt a weight lift off him, something deep within him let out a deep sigh and he tugged his wife closer.

The feeling of her being in his arms almost forgotten.

"I'll make it right. I promise." He affirmed, and she believed him.

Lilith had never been to a wedding, the entire process was unknown to her and she was driving blind while Apollo tried not to cackle at her annoyed expression.

"This might as well be written in fucking Spanish, how am I supposed to know the difference between Navajo white and fucking seashell." She flicked the papers and magazines aside, a grunt flying past her lips.

This is unbelievable, she thought, how could he bench me.

"I need you to stay here while I attend to some business." Liliths eyes roll skyward as Ares demand rings in her head again.

"You roll em any harder and they may just get stuck." Without word she raises her middle finger to her soon to be brother in law. Their friendship wasn't much different than from when they met all those months ago to now, they bickered like children but very protecting of each other for their own reasons you couldn't pay them enough to say out loud.

"What business did he possibly have to handle without you?" On the outside Ares ran everything but when you lived within their walls you'd learn just how much one twin depends on the other. Lilith thought it was cute but also sad, through their mannerism you could see how much they had to raise themselves.

Lilith, Ares and Apollo had all been dealt a hand in shitty parents. How ironic, she thought.

The sound of the front door and the quick patter of feet towards the living room cuts whatever response Apollo was about to say.
Aleksei bounds into the room full speed and doesn't stop until his body launches on top of his mother, a wide crooked grin on his face and his eyes glittering at he looks up at him mom.

"Mom can I go to school? Dad showed m-" He starts talking a mile a minute as Ares struts into the room and Lilith tries to keep her attention on her son but soon her gaze slips to her usually brooding fiancé who has a grin spread across his face.

"Remember to breathe little god." He chuckles as Aleksei bounces in Liliths lap. "So can I go?" He ask again this time grabbing his mothers cheeks and pulling her face in to look at him.
"Please." He drags out his ice cream scented breath fanning across her face.

She frowns. Lilith can't remember if she ever went to school or not before her life in the cellars. She remembers helping Seamus with work sheets but it's a blurry memory that makes her start to spiral.

"Why don't you go show uncle Apollo your new shoes and I'll talk to mom about school buddy." Ares is quick to notice the sudden tension coiling Liliths frame and Apollo moves to take Aleksei to his room, distracting him with asking him about his day out with his dad.

Warmth hands gather Lilith up and drop her back down into his lap, Ares thick fingers run through her hair making her shudder.
"Talk to me." He urges.

"I don't remember going to school. Will he be safe?" She grabs his hand resting on her hip, intertwining their fingers.

"I wouldn't send our son somewhere he wouldn't be safe." He watches her mind turn and waits patiently for her next question.

"What business did you have to do today?" The hand running through her hair grips the roots tightly but gently pulling her gaze to him.

"I wouldn't enroll him into a school you haven't seen yet. I took the day to bond with Leksei and take him shopping." Something warm bloomed in her chest at his words, tingling down to her toes and numbing her finger tips.

"Ya tebya lyublyu." [I love you] A laugh erupts from her lips as Ares groans, throwing his head back on the sofa.

"You speaking my language is a wet dream I didn't know I had little fox." He yanks her in for a searing kiss before she can respond, the kiss is bruising a rough but it sends jolts of passion and a feeling of safety through Lilith.
Air start to escape to quickly and they pull away forehand's resting and chests heaving, Ares whispers,
"I love you too for forever and day Lilith."