Chapter forty six: A stranger to your reflection

Lilith

Is it possible for one to become strangers with themselves? To become strangers with a version of you self you never knew?

There was still massive pieces of my childhood missing, my adolescent years spent sold and locked away in ways no child should, my teens I spent seeking revenge for all the pain inflicted on me and searching for a son I didn't know was alive or dead.

Now things were far from what I could have ever imagined.

"My love, are you listening?" My dazed thoughts are pulled back to Ares, eyes raking over him through the large mirror in our even larger closet. Stepping forward his large hand spreads over my stomach, the urge to flinch as he brushes the scar hidden under my shirt is there but I push it down.
"What's wrong?" He frowns and I shake my head, Ares and Apollo were stressed to the limit with the making their father submit that last thing I wanted to add was the nagging, itch like feeling in my skull I was still trying to piece together.

It's like retaking the same picture to keep developing it blurry and all you need it that one clear shot for the itch to go away and the memory to finally rest.

"I'm sorry- what?" Ares only smiles, plating a firm kiss on my forehead that makes my eyes flutter shut. It was like I couldn't get enough of affection, I craved Ares holding me all day long- as clingy as it sounds.

"Im just trying to figure out Sergios plan." It wasn't hard to figure out he would reach out to Ares connections, a big part of me felt guilty for them using Aleksei as a soft spot, that was part of the reason I agreed to go to this stupid gathering the organization held quite often. Sergio was sure to be there trying to weasel his way into networking, but no matter his connections, Ares would burn the empire to the ground before letting his father get his hands on it.

"Don't worry to much, this will all be over soon and we can get back to your delicious cooking." Goosebumps rise as his eyes darken, raking over me before he smirks, "Although you much better tasting." He chuckles deeply at my flushed cheeks.

"You look handsome." I change the subject, turning as his hands drop to my waist and finish buttoning up his shirt and smoothing out the soft wrinkles in his jacket.
My dress was black and form fitting and still on the bed in the bag next to the sky high heels I was definitely going to regretting putting on.

"Take this, just for tonight." The metal feels oddly heavy in my hands, cold and bites into my flesh. I grip it tighter and stretch my arm out weigh it, smoothing in one fluid I click off the safety and pull back the hammer. Smirking feeling a familiar feeling build up in me.
"Don't get to used to it, I don't like you needing that, it's just for tonight." Ares voice rumbles into my back and I only smirk, shaking my head.

"A gun in my hand is exactly what drew you in."

My nose crinkles at the fourth older man that has glanced me up and down for the dozenth time that night. I feel Ares rumble in laughter beside me as Apollo snickers on my other side, my eyes roll skyward. Children.

Men were giant children with big boy money and guns for toys and unfortunately, I was now in love with one of these cavemen.

"We will know when Sergio gets here, I don't doubt people won't be stunned to see Nevaeh after years." I speak past the champagne glass raised to my lips as we all scan the room, Ares has men located in the shadows but Leksei was locked under guard with Claudia.

"Oh how I have missed you dear sister in law." Apollo snorts and I chuckle.

"Just don't get shot this time." I giggle as Ares snorts. Apollo scowls rolling his eyes and flicking at his napkin at the table.

"You're never going to let me live that down." He grumbles.

Keeping the smile plastered on my face as I take a whiff of her expensive perfume somewhere in the crowd I lean closer to Ares, wrapping an arm around his neck and he immediately responds to the embrace, my lips brushing his ear.

"Athena's here." He grins and kisses me harshly and deeply before turning to the guard standing behind him, whispering ear orders in Russian as I go back to observing to crowd.

Apollo sighs, crossing his arms. "I'd rather be playing chess with Aleksei." They're bond makes me grin, it was like an instant connection and Aleksei was stuck to Ares and Apollo side, if he had their features he might as well be their triplet.

"Well I did teach him so it must be hard losing to a three year old." I chortle as his expression takes on annoyance.

"I thought that was Ares doing." He mumbles and Ares shakes his head chuckling.

"Why do you think I haven't played him yet, Lilith has check mate in four moves. I don't doubt my sons as less of a prodigy-"

"Ares and Apollo, I just knew you two would attend, I wouldn't miss the family drama for the world." A woman slithers up, raven hair and striking light brown eyes, Ares tenses as does Apollo but I only watch. Interested in which route she's going to go with this conversation, rumors about my son, me, his mother it seemed now people were using whatever they thought was his weak point at plucking at it but I wasn't going to let them anymore.

Ares was a mafia Don and I was engaged to him, my son calls him dad and his brother uncle, this was the closest thing I've had to family and I was going to protect them with the same energy I put into getting revenge for myself.

"You must be the whore Athena spoke of." She looks down at me past the narrowness of her sharp nose and I hum, shaking my head.

"Not a whore." I raise my left hand flashing my large diamond. "Engaged actually." I grin widely as her eyes dart between the brothers I'm stuck between and it by choice, like I said cavemen.

Her eyes narrow into slits and she scoffs, setting her manicured hands in the table.
"You can't turn a whore off the streets into a house wive, Ares," her gaze flicks to him and then back to me, "Even if she's got a flea ridden bastard in tow." She spit the words like venom and I grin.

Leaning forward slightly, "Don't you know you should never step into a lions pride." Her face concerts into confusion and then a snarl.

"Are you fucking stupi-"

"The lioness might just rip your throat out." I growl, grabbing the steak knife with one hand and wrapping the other up in her hair extensions before she can step away from the table and I go for her neck, arm swinging full force and eyes tinted red as I drag her screaming and wailing body over the table, dishes crashing and shattering.

"Lilith, you can't." His voice makes me pause for a less than a second, pulling the rigid knife over her collar bone and run it across with slight press and she screams out as her blood soils the table cloth and her gown.

"Call him a bastard again. I fucking dare you." Her eyes glimmer with fear and she shakes her head.

"I'm sorry-"

"Get the fuck away." I shove her away and toss the knife away and turn my glare onto Ares.

"You protect another one of your past conquest in front of me again and I'll burn your bed down with you tied to it." I scowl at his glare.

"Don't threaten me, little fox." His eyes flint with lust and I roll my eyes trying to ignore the shivers as the crowd around us murmurs, the waiters rushing to clean the mess and because these are all people with both hands into the illegal crime and money game. The event proceeds as usual.