Chapter Two: Little Fox

❤️‍🔥Sin❤️‍🔥

As someone registers fear, the amygdala, the organ in the middle of your brain is dedicated to fear. The small organ located in the frontal portion of the temporal lobe shocks the body into an internal panic, cortisol, and adrenaline release as your heart rate and blood pressure skyrocket.

I quite enjoyed washing the physical effect of fear though.

Mashing teeth, guttural screams, and the color drain from the face. Leaving a blank white canvas to carve into, writing out their sins into the flesh, scaring it there forever.
"You were always so talkative Doreen. What's wrong? Cat got your tongue?" I wave the severed piece of flesh in front of her fear-stricken eyes. As she whimpers more blood falls from her mouth and splattered onto the floor of her living room. Being number eight on my list, Doreen Carter, much easier to find than that sniveling worm.
"Here, have it back." Tearing a piece of duck tape with my teeth I shove the bloody piece of muscle back into her mouth as she thrashes, the ropes rubbing painfully against her flesh. Slapping the duct tape harshly into place I stand back admiring my handiwork.
I didn't usually like so much mess, but since the day in the restaurant, I've been off-centered. Angry, I wanted Hako to suffer just as Doreen, the two were evil halves to a sinister whole back when I met them.

Now they were nothing more than rats scattering for safety.

She jerks in alert as her home phone rings loudly, cutting through the house ominously, narrowing my eyes I click the safety of the same gun I used to kill Hako. "Who is that?" I glance at my watch, it was well into three in the morning and my information told me Doreen doesn't have anyone calling her this late, no boyfriend, no kids, no family.
I take a threatening step forward and her eyes widen even larger if possible. Erratically shaking her head, pleading with her eyes. The phone keeps ringing, whoever is calling won't let it go to voicemail and after the third time hanging up and calling back I snatch the phone from the receiver.

"About goddamn time." A gruff voice huffs over the phone in annoyance, it's oddly familiar but no faces ring a bell as I wrack my memory. I stay silent, waiting for the mystery person to continue. There's a pause, then the sound of scraping in the background.
"Sin, Was it?" A shiver rolls down my spine at the accent in his tone.
"Depends on whose asking." I turn over my shoulder to glance at Doreen who seems to be almost unconscious from the pain.
"A prospective business partner."
I watch with sick amusement as Doreen flinches harshly at my cackle.
"I don't need a partner." I bite back bitterly and this time a dark chuckle rumbles from the other line. I try to shake off the feeling of my stomach twisting trying to put a face to the voice but I'm still drawing blanks.
"You miss understanding, little fox. I have a job for you." There's some more shuffling before it settles again.
"I don't work for contract and I'm not for hire." Cutting the call I storm towards Doreen. Using the little strength in her legs to tilt the chair back and away from my angry expression.

"Who has your home number?" It's pointless asking really, she can't answer. Tongue severed from the organ, blood had sputtered like a rusty sprinkle as her gurgled screams pierced my ears. To me it was music, lord knows how many times Doreen got sick pleasure from other screams, my screams.
Her head darts back and forth, snarling I yank her hair back, pressing the barrel of my gun right onto her amygdala. Her body quaked with sobs, the smell of fear mix with blood making the air around us bitter.
"It's time to atone for your sins, Doreen Carter. Now pray." Her eyes squeeze shut immediately, her lips moving jittery under the blood-stained duck tape. A cruel smile paints my features as my finger twitches over the delicate trigger, the silencer muffles the noise, the bullet silences her muffled moans of pain as her body slumps with finality.
That feeling of being on the edge of peace blooms inside my chest as I pull the crinkled paper from my boot. My childish handwriting gradually turned mature as I got older, the other seven names on top marked out, swiping a pen off her coffee table I scribble through her name. Stuffing the list back where it belongs I take another look at my work, burning the details into my brain. The death of these people is something I don't ever want to forget.

I never understood why people jogged in the park, there were a hundred places designated for running but for some reason, it's human nature to dress in your shortest, tightest workout clothes and flaunt yourself around the park like a panting dog.
"Major," I call out into the bushes as another jogger breezes past. A linky man with green shorts and a black muscle shirt winks as he skids past, I gladly toss him the finger.
This is why I usually walked Major at night, but after sleeping in from my activities with Doreen last night, Major barked at me until I dragged myself out of bed and walked him to the park. Now he was taking his precious time sniffing every blade of grass, the path we take is quite secluded from the rest of the park, running along a man-made stream to make the park seem more attractive and less like a place for drug deals to go wrong. None the less I tucked my gun into the waistband of my jeans before clicking Majors leash into place.

"Little Fox." My muscles tense at the voice, spinning away from the bushes my dog disappeared into, I'm stunned to see the man from the restaurant. Ares, Hako had called out in a plea.
He was tall, and large, reminding me of a building. Large bulky muscles taut under a black compression shirt that stuck like skin, strong muscles legs jutted out from under black shorts. His large chest rose and fell heavily, sweat dripping from his dark brows and raven locks. When I settle back into his face, full lips pulled back into a subtle smirk as he gouged me with eyes as blue as the Arctic waters.
Then the name registers and my head tilts on its own accord, finally putting a face to the voice. "Fox, huh?" I run my fingers through my fire engine-colored hair and his smirk seems to widen as the gravel crunches under his massive feet.
I should have moved, taken a step back but those sparkling eyes keep me rooted. Holding my breath as he steps close enough to pull a ringlet into his finger, pulling and letting the coil snap back into place.
"Quite fitting, don't you think?"
Major barks somewhere down the path and I'm stuck back into reality. Stepping away from Ares, "I won't work for you." I cross my arms solidifying my words, eyes narrowing on to the growing smirk I wanted to slap off his face. Major barks again and I jerk away from the smirking man, not trusting to turn my back on him I take a few steps backward before turning and rushing off to find Major.