I want a friend

"Class, Steven would like to make an announcement!"

I can't believe my eyes! Steven has never talked before. He's only ever used his fists or actions to express himself. Once, he even grabbed a non-binary person by their arm and kissed them on the lips! Needless to say, they weren't very happy about that.

"Uh, hi. I just want to say that I want a friend."

The whole class murmurs.

"Yeah, I've given it a lot of thought and consideration. I've decided on a person."

The murmuring gets more frantic.

"I choose..."

You're woken up again. That dream was just as strange as the last, almost like it was a continuation of the last. How odd.

You even felt the anxiety that the other students were feeling. And somehow you knew Steven's personality, despite not knowing much about him at all. Does he even exist?

Oh well, regardless, all you know is this: if everything you "know" about Steven is true, then you certainly don't want to be chosen as his friend.

You're off to school, same as usual, but this time, you're greeted by Jason.

"Hi, Y/N! How's your day going so far? I hope it's good, because I want to make it even better!"

You appreciate his enthusiasm but your mind is elsewhere. Mainly on the strange dreams you had consecutively.

You don't want to hurt his feelings, though, so you smile politely and ask him what he has in mind. He seems a little off, but you assume maybe he has a mental disorder or something, so you don't pay much mind to it.

"I want to take you on a second date tonight!" he blurts out, all his nervousness and anxiety gone.

You wonder how he can go from confident to nervous and back again, all in a mere instant.

You decide "why not?" and laugh warmly, flash him a smile, and say excitedly, "sure!"