Chapter 22

1 month time jump

Meredith had a good feeling. She'd been going to therapy for a while now, and her speech was really improving. Lauren had a feeling her patient would really have a breakthrough soon.

"Derek therapy clock." Meredith said, before shaking her head. "Derek therapy time." She corrected herself as she walked into the hospital.

"Yes it is. I'll see you in a few hours, okay?" He asked with a smile as he got to the door. "Okay. Love y-you." Meredith replied. "Love you too." He replied as he watched her walk into the room.

"Good morning Meredith." Lauren said warmly. "Morning Laurie." Meredith responded. "I see someone's in a good mood this morning. You ready? Today we're working on full sentences." She said enthusiastically.

"Okay." Meredith said, taking a seat and grabbing on of the squeeze balls Peter gave to her. Her arm strength definetely wasn't at what it was before, but she could raise her arm for a few minutes and use her hand decently. Peter gave her the ball so she could practice her hand movements.

"Let Start with the flash cards and then we'll put them together." Lauren suggested.

•••

Derek was working down in the pit. It was a quiet day, and he had no scheduled surgeries planned.

"Shepherd!" Bailey said as she short woman made her way over to him. "Hey Bailey." Derek replied. "Where's Grey? I need her to look at this." Bailey asked.

Lately, Meredith had been very antsy to get back to work. Her brain never really lost the medical knowledge, but sometning clicked in her brain a week or two ago and she remembered everything.

Derek had told Bailey this, so Bailey had Meredith consult on a few charts and scans. And it really did help Bailey, and Meredith.

"She's in speech therapy. She should be done in a little under an hour." Derek replied. "Okay. How's she doing?" Bailey asked with a sigh.

"She's good, really good. Her arms are improving, and her speech is so close. She's doing great." Derek said, proud of his amazing wife for working so hard.

"Good. I need my favorite resident back to work." Bailey replied. "You know she can't operate, Bailey." Derek said with a sad smile.

"I know. Doesn't mean she can't consult. A general consultant." Bailey replied sassily. "That's true. I think she'd like that." Derek said.

"She will. Send her to me when she's done." Bailey said before walking away.

•••

"Okay, let's put it together." Lauren said. Meredith took a deep breath. "T-Tim is wearing black pants, a blue shirt, and t-tan shoes." Meredith said.

Lauren's lips turned into a smile. "You did it! Say it again! Or something different." She exclaimed.

"L-Laurie is wearing a red shirt, Grey pants, and a b-black sneakers." Meredith said in awe of herself. "You're doing it! I knew you would have a breakthrough soon. I'm so proud of you." Lauren praised.

"Thank you." Meredith responded, blushing slightly. "Page Derek?" Meredith asked, then shaking her head. "Can you page Derek?" She corrected herself.

Laurie nodded.

Derek came up minutes later. "Go on." She encouraged. "Derek has blue scrubs, black sneakers,  b-black hair." Meredith said with a grin.

Dereks jaw dropped and smiled. "Y-you...how?" He asked. "She had a breakthrough. I was expecting her to have one soon." Lauren said.

He grinned and took her into his arms tightly. "I am so proud of you." He whispered into her ear. "I did it." Meredith replied proudly.

"You did." Derek agreed. "Now, she may skip some words occasionally if she's tired or stressed or just emotional, but as far as I can see her speech is close to probably 90-95%." Lauren explained.

"That's amazing." Derek breathed. "Thank you Laurie." Meredith said gratefully. "It was my pleasure, Dr Grey. I'll fill out some final paperwork for our appointments." Lauren said.

Derek and Meredith made their way to the elevator and got in. As a rush of emotions hit Derek, he pressed his lips hotly against hers. "I love you. I love you so much." He whispered.

"I l-love you too." Meredith replied, responsive to the kiss. "Come on, I want to go show you off." Derek said, making her giggle.

"Grey! Just the person I wanted to see." Bailey exclaimed, walking over. "Hi Bailey." Meredith replied. "I need you to consult on this." She explained, handing her a chart.

"S-she has a mass." Meredith observed. "Is it malignant or benign?" She asked. "It's- wait. What? When did that happen?" Bailey gasped in surprise.

"This morning. Apparently she just...opened her mouth and talked." Derek replied. "That's great, Grey. Nice job." Bailey praised.

"Thank. Thank you." Meredith said softly. "Come with me for a second." Bailey said. Meredith nodded and followed her, while Derek watched his wife proudly.

•••

They arrived home to carolyns wonderful dinner. "Hi Derek, Meredith." Carolyn said with a grin. "Hi mom. What dinner? What's for dinner?" Meredith asked.

Carolyn looked at her in shock. "Dinner is lasagna. How-when did this happen?" She asked. "This morning." Meredith replied happily.

"I'm so proud of you, dear." Carolyn said genuinely, giving the girl a hug. "Thank you." Meredith replied as she embraced the motherly hug.

"Hey, what did Bailey tell you earlier?" Derek asked curiously. "Malignant cancer. She Told me to be consultant for work since can't...since I can't operate." Meredith explained.

"Good. Bailey seemed happy about the idea." Derek said, kissing her softly. "Yeah. Love you Derek." Meredith said, slowly wrapping her arms around him as best as she could.

"I love you too, Mer." Derek replied

Hey guys! So next chapter will probably be the last one, sorry for the abrupt ending. I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and hope your all doing well. Thanks for reading.