Chapter 3

Meredith was taken back to her room while Nelson came. "Can you just show me the damn scans? I need to know what's going on." Derek asked impatiently.

"Her scans show signs of severe hypoxia. See for yourself." Nelson said, handing him the pictures of her brain.

Derek was shocked. He was studying his wife's brain. And her scans? Not good. Nelson was right. A severe case of hypoxia was never good.

"Shit. How did this happen?!" Derek asked loudly. His wife was very most likely brain damaged. This would destroy her. "We don't know, Derek. After the artery was nicked, she coded and we could not get her back for 12 and a half minutes." Bailey said softly.

Derek scoffed and stomped off to the bathroom. "I need a minute." He said before leaving.

He gripped the sides of the sink and tried to hold back his tears. His Meredith was sick. His Meredith probably had severe brain damage. His wife. His everything.

Derek looked up at himself in the mirror and sighed. He was stressed out and exhausted.

"Wha!" He heard a strange, muffled yell come from the other room. Derek bolted and stopped in his tracks when he saw his wife awake and fighting the intubation.

"Meredith, Meredith it's okay." Derek said as he grabbed her hand. The nurses took out the tube and Derek held his breath in anticipation.

"Da? Da? Wha...?" Meredith said as she looked around frantically. Dereks heart broke. "Meredith, it's Me, Derek. You're okay." He said, tears pooling in his eyes.

"De-k." Meredith whimpered as she locked eyes with him. "That's it. You're alright." He whispered back.

"Meredith, you're awake." Nelson said as he, Bailey, and Richard entered into the room again. Meredith grasped on to dereks hand tightly and looked at him.

"It's okay. They're your doctors." He said softly. "Meredith, do you know who this is?" Nelson asked, pointing to Bailey.

"Bal-Bailey." The patient replied. Miranda smiled, but knew her former intern definetely had some brain damage. "Good. What about him?" Nelson asked.

"Rich."

"Richard. Good. Now, do you know who I am?" Nelson questioned. Meredith looked at him and slowly shook her head. Her grip unconsciously got tighter on dereks hand.

"Okay. I'm Dr Jim Nelson. I work with you and I'm a neurosurgeon." He said. "Who is this?" Nelson asked, pointing to Derek.

"De-k." Meredith replied. "Is he your...friend? Colleague?" He pressed. Meredith shook her head. Derek smiled. She knew who he was. She remembered him.

"Who is he to you?"

"M-marry." Meredith whispered. "Thats right. He's your husband." Dr Nelson said, jotting down notes. It was quite obvious Meredith had brocas aphasia.

"Why?" Meredith asked. "Why?" Bailey replied, confused. "Why...um...here?" She said, finding it difficult to find the right words.

"During surgery, you coded." Nelson responded. "Can t-talk." Meredith tried. "I know you can't talk. I'll explain more later." Derek said.

"We'll be back later. I'm going to go consult with another neurologist who specializes in these cases." Nelson said as they all left.

"Mer..." Derek breathed. "Why here?" Meredith demanded. "Do you remember when you decided to donate your liver to your father?" Derek asked.

He had no idea where she was right now mentally. He didn't know what she remembered, or anything. "Yea." She replied.

"Well, the surgery went well, but you coded. They couldn't get you back for almost 13 minutes." Derek explained. "C-code?" Meredith asked, the word sounding foreign in her mouth.

"Your heart stopped. And I don't know what you remember and what you don't right now, but if your brain doesn't get oxygen for a long time, it can cause brain damage." He said.

"Bran...ouch?" Meredith guessed. Her brain obviously didn't seem to pick up on much right now.

"Yes. Your brain is ouch. But it's okay. We'll fix it." Derek replied. "Why...talk." Meredith stated more of asking. "Yeah, that's why you can't talk right now." He said.

"Um...arms...Cant." She whispered. "Can't what?" Derek replied as he looked at them. "Hurt." Meredith stated. Derek carefully looked at her arms and lifted them up. She winced and whimpered.

"Okay. It's okay. I'll tell Dr Nelson." Derek said. Tears pooled in Merediths eyes as she looked at him. "Oh, Mer. You're okay. We're gonna figure it out, okay? I promise." Derek said softly.

"Bed." She said, her voice rough. "You want to go to bed?" Derek asked. "No. De-k." Meredith said. "You want me to get in bed with you?" He asked with a smile. Meredith nodded.

Meredith carefully scooted over so Derek would climb in next to her. Meredith unknowingly put her hand on her stomach and yelped. "Did you touch your incision?" Derek asked with a concerned look.

Meredith whimpered and looked at him. He gently pulled up her gown and showed her the incision. "You donated your liver to your father. They made a little cut in your tummy. Do you...remember surgery?" Derek asked.

Meredith sniffled and nodded. "Cut." She said. "That's right. You're a surgeon and cut people open." Derek said with a smile. "So Don't touch your belly, okay?"

Meredith nodded. She put her head on his chest and sighed. "What are you thinking about?" Derek asked. He was still so confused about what she was feeling. He knew for a fact that she had brocas aphasia, and muscle weakness in both of her arms but that's all he knew at the moment.

She also didn't remember Dr Nelson, which made him nervous. "L-lex?" She asked. "Lexie is good. I haven't gotten and update about your father yet but I imagine Bailey and Richard are telling her about what happened." Derek explained.

"Kay ." Meredith said, yawning. "I love you Mer. Go to sleep. I'll be here." Derek whispeed. "Lo you." Meredith said.

As Merediths snores filled the room, Derek though to himself. Merediths brain was damaged. She would need therapy. But even with that, she may never go back to her normal self.

But she knew the people she loved. And that was enough for Derek right now.

Hey guys! I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and hope your all doing well! If you have any suggestions for future chapters feel free to drop them. Thanks for reading.