Chapter 21

A few days later, Meredith was asleep while Derek was paged in very early for a large MVC that required the best neurosurgeon.

Derek didn't want to leave her, but he had no choice. He still had to do his job. He kissed her forehead gently before quickly changing and leaving the bedroom.

Since his mother was an early morning person like he was, she was already awake and in the living room, nursing a cup of coffee.

"Where are you off to so early, dear?" Carolyn asked as she watched her son hurry to grab his stuff. "Paged in for an MVC. I need you to keep an eye on Mer." Derek replied.

"Oh, of course. What- what do I need to do?" She asked as she stood up and came near Derek. "I hope I'll be back before noon, but if I'm not then you'll have to help feed her. She probably won't want to eat since she doesn't want help though, so don't worry about it if she doesn't. Uh, brush her teeth, and basically anything that requires her using her arms. I'll scribble a note for her, but can you let her know I'm at work?" He explained.

"Sure." Carolyn replied. "Oh, and I'll let you know how long I'll be there. Hopefully I'll be home to do her exercises, but if not there's a list that explains what to do and how to do it on the fridge. She'll be frustrated to do them, but make sure she does them." He said.

"Don't worry, Derek. I've watched you two for weeks now. You go to work." Carolyn said calmly. "Okay. Thanks mom. She should be up In a few hours. See you later." Derek said, rushing out of the door.

•••

As Derek said, hours later Meredith woke up. "Derek?" Meredith called out as she stood at the top of the stairs.

Carolyn hopped up from the couch and went to the stairs. "Good morning, dear. Derek got called in to work early, so it's just me and you right now." She explained kindly.

"No...Derek gone?" Meredith asked. Why did Derek leave her? He hadn't left her before. Did he stop loving her because she was brain damaged?

"Derek went to work. He left you a note if you want to come down here. Do you need any help?" Carolyn offered. "N-no." She replied, slowly descending down the stairs.

Meredith got downstairs and called out for Derek again. "He's at work. He said he was called in for an MVC." Carolyn said gently.

Meredith read the note. 'Good morning, Meredith. I got called in for work this morning, they required the best neurosurgeon and of course that's me ;) I hope to be home soon. Love always, Derek.' The note read.

"Derek leave me." Meredith whispered. "No, sweetie. He just went to work. He's going to come back as soon as he can, I promise you. In the meantime, do you want anything for breakfast?" Carolyn asked.

Meredith shook her head and went to sit down on the couch. "Okay. Do you need any thing?" She asked, sitting a distance away from her on the couch as to not make her uncomfortable.

"Derek?" Meredith asked hopefully. "Do you want to call him?" Carolyn offered. Meredith nodded eagerly. Carolyn got out her phone and dialed dereks number.

"Hello? Is everything okay?" Dereks concerned voice came through the speaker phone. "Derek hi!" Meredith exclaimed.

"Hey Mer. How's it going?" He asked as he scrubbed in. "Good. When Derek home?" Meredith questioned. Derek sighed. "I don't know, Mer. I'm scrubbing in on this guys brain, and it's all screwed up. It might be a few hours." He explained softly.

"Derek no come home?" Meredith asked, a frown edging on her face. "I'll be home." He said quickly. "I just don't know How long this surgery is going to take." He added.

"Derek home." Meredith said. "I will be. Hey, I gotta go. Mer, I will see you in a few hours. I love you." He said. "Love too." Meredith replied before Derek hung up.

•••

A while later, Meredith was starting to be hungry. "Mom?" Meredith asked hesitantly. Carolyn looked over at her on the couch with a smile.

"I hungry." Meredith announced. She didn't want Carolyn to feed her, but she really was hungry. "Okay dear. What do you want?" Carolyn asked, standing up.

"Ummm....cheese and Mac?" Meredith asked hopefully. "Sure." Carolyn replied, walking to the kitchen. Meredith stood up and followed her over.

"This kind?" Carolyn asked. Meredith nodded and she took a seat at the counter. "Okay. It should be ready in...8 minutes." Carolyn said, reading the box.

Meredith tapped her fingers patiently on the counter while Carolyn cooked. Derek would be home soon, hopefully. And then she and Derek could talk and cuddle.

"Here you go, Meredith." Carolyn said kindly, putting the bowl in front of her. "Thank. Um...need help." Meredith whispered, her face flushing red in embarrassment.

"Of course." Carolyn replied, sitting down next to her and grabbing the spoon. "So, is it good?" Carolyn asked, making small talk to get Meredith distracted in hopes for her not to feel embarrassed.

"Good. Better Derek." Meredith replied with a giggle as she chewed her food. "I'm glad to hear that. Dereks never been much of a cook, but he tries. Can you cook?" Carolyn asked.

Meredith shook her head. "Derek no let cook. Things burn." She responded with a smile. "Well, I'll have to teach you some day." Carolyn said.

"Cant." Meredith replied. "Well, until you can, I'll just show you some techniques and such." Carolyn replied. "Good." Meredith smiled.

Hours later, Derek arrived home to Meredith and his mother doing her exercises. Clearly, Meredith was comfortable with his mother and he smiled.

"Derek!" Meredith exclaimed as she saw him, jumping up and walking into his arms. "Hey!" Derek replied, hugging her close.

"Me do exercises mom." She said. "I see that. Good job." Derek praised.

"Me miss Derek. Derek love." Meredith smiled. "I missed you too Mer. I love you." He replied.

Hey guys! I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and hope your all doing well. As always, if you have any suggestions or ideas for future chapters let me know. Thanks for reading and I hope your all doing well!!