「 harlots of my perils 」

[ VOLUME THREE ]

CHAPTER FIFTY-THREE;
harlots of my perils

[ NOVEMBER THIRD, 95' ]

No one in particular,

♱

'Mother, weep the years I'm missing
All our time can't be given back
Shut my mouth and strike the demons
That cursed you and your reasons
Out of hand and out of season
Out of love and out of feeling

Fool enough to almost be it
And cool enough to not quite see it
Dull enough to always feel this
Always old, I'll always feel this
No more promise, no more sorrow
No longer will I follow'

It's been said fear is the quickest way to shut something down, and Hera was perfectly aware of that as she scanned her mind for something that might bring her Patronus to life.

"I can't tell you what your happiest memory is, " Sirius shrugged, not caring to lift his eyes and meet hers from across the drawing-room.

Hera was past trying to think of anything and opted for tracing patterns in the blue velvet settee, her eyes following the lines of dark, olive-stained wood in the floor and long-fringed silk Persian rugs.

She noticed Sirius would routinely lift his eyes to the damp leaves falling along the leaded panes of glass, and after a while, she too began searching for whatever he was.
Hera furrowed her brow, smiling at how the leaves contorted against the window, making it look as though the sky was made of hundreds of tiny fish.

"You can't seriously want to spend your birthday doing this, " Hera gestured between her wand and the both of them, feeling as though she was talking to herself because he was so out of it.

"You wanted help in the first place, Hera. This arrangement isn't supposed to be us spending half the week drinking together, "
Sirius spoke distantly as he reminded her, pressing a thumb to his page and looking to ask her if she had anything else to say.

"It's not that I don't have any good memories because I'm probably the luckiest girl alive for that! Why can't we just skip this and practise duelling or something — literally anything else — it's not going to work now when we've been at it all day!"
Hera said mournfully, trying to slow her scattered thoughts as she worded them in a frenetic way, finding herself irritable as everything felt speed up.
"... I'm clinically depressed, Sirius — all this makes me feel even worse!"