「 been a son 」

[ VOLUME TWO ]

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR;
been a son

[ EARLY SEPTEMBER, 94' ]

No one in particular,

♱

'She should have stayed away from friends
She should have had more time to spend
She should have died when she was born
She should have worn the crown of thorns
She should have been a son

She should have stood out in a crowd
She should have made her mother proud
She should have fallen on her stance
She should have had another chance
She should have been a son'

Something about Hera made those around her want to nurture and protect her. She was a paradox in that way because she could also be brutally and intensely strong, yet at the same time, appear fragile and delicate.

"Quick, or we won't get decent seats!" Alicia pushed past the students waiting outside Moody's classroom and hurried into the chairs near the front desk.

Unlike previous years, her class now consisted of students from each house. Many hadn't gotten into the advanced Defence Against the Dark Arts class as it required a specific grade, which significantly lessened the number of NEWT students in her class.

Some had already gotten out their books, but the rest sat in anticipation of Moody's distinctive clunking footsteps from down the corridor.

"You can put those away," Moody growled, "those books. You won't need them."

An excited look came over Hera's face, and she whispered to Alicia while returning the books to their bags. Moody twirled some of his grey beard and began the register, his eyes occasionally twitching at some familiar names.

"Right then," he cleared his throat after saying the last person's name, "As with my other classes, I've had a letter from Professor Lupin and gone through your teacher-assessed marks. Seems you've done well covering Dark creatures and other Magical beings, is that right?"

There was a general murmur of agreement.

"But you're behind on dealing with curses, so I'm here to bring you up to scratch on what wizards can do to each other. I've got one year to teach you how to deal with Dark — " He gave a harsh laugh and then clapped his gnarled hands together.

"So — straight into it. Curses. They come in many strengths and forms. Now, since you're in the sixth year, I'm allowed to show you illegal Dark curses. And lucky, I'll say, the sooner you know what you're up against, the better. How are you supposed to defend yourself against something you've never seen? A wizard who's about to put an illegal curse on you isn't going to tell you what he's about to do. You need to be prepared! You need to be alert and watchful!"