Man Plans, Fate laughs

Ngl, I had completely forgotten about the pen-pal assignment. We’ll see more of that in a bit.

LittleJoke out.

Word count: 1595 words

Grandpa George Pov

Previously:
He shivered. “Hello Jason, won’t you join me?” George questioned.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Jason wordlessly sat down on the seat adjacent to the old man. A beat of silence passed, and Jason already grew impatient. He decided to initiate the conversation. “B said you needed me for a job?” he questioned. “Yes, I am in need your services. Originally, I wanted you to be an information broker of sorts for me, but recent developments have changed my plan. Here,” he said while handing Jason a file.

Jason read through the contents before letting out a surprised sigh. “There’s two demon spawns now!” he exclaimed. “Yes, it seems so.” George said. “Okay, but how is that my problem exactly? I’ve suffered enough with the one back at the manor.” Jason said, confused at the point of this conversation.

“If you’re willing, I was hoping you could take him under your wing. Teach him how to blend into modern society.” George said. At this, Jason let out a laugh, and another before he was full on cackling. “You got jokes old man.” Jason said while wiping away a stray tear. Upon looking at said man’s serious face he snorted before saying, “Oh, you’re serious. Listen old man, I think I’m not the best fit for this job. Hell, Tim could be better at this than me!” Jason explained. “I’m not trying to make him a civilized citizen of society. I simply need him to blend enough so not to raise questions. He’s quite unstable, so I believe you know what to do. It appears you both are affected by the Lazarus pits, though you’ve managed to overcome most of it. I thought you could give him some insight.” George said before sipping his, now cold tea. He hummed in disappointment before placing his cup down.

“How’d you know about the pits?” Jason questioned, looking tense in that moment. “The miraculous, those jewels your brother is investigating, created the pits. So, I’ve been researching, along with a little help. I knew of their existence for a while. My grandfather used to tell me stories about magical pits that could bring back the dead, though for the price of their mentality.” George explained, as stoic as ever.  Jason took a second to compose himself, gripping his seat’s armrest.

“Ok fine, let’s say I’m in. What’s in it for me then?” Jason questioned. “Well, first, you’ll receive immunity as you’ll be protected under my name. You’ll also receive as much funds as you want, so long as there are positive results. I’ll connect you to my weaponsmith, I heard you on the market for some new guns. And I can find a way to remove the Lazarus pits essence from your very core. Of course, there’s be a few side hustles I’ll need you to do, but we can discuss those later.” He finished.

After contemplating his choices, he decided. “Alright, I’ll work for ya.” He said simply. “How wonderful. You won’t regret this.” George said, with a smile on his face. ‘I liked him better without the smiling.’ Jason thought. Suddenly, the door opened and the butler from before walked in. “I already drew up a contract. You can read over its contents and see if it’s to your liking.
At this, Jason sweat-dropped. “You already drew up a contract?” he questioned. “Of course, only a fool would reject this offer.” George said.

Jason chose to stay quiet and looked over the contents, hellbent on getting out of here before the old man made him do something crazy.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~