Chapter 36

On the way to JP's office, I run into my mom, and I can see the stress and worry on her face.

"Mamma, are you mad at me, too?" I pull her into a hug, and her arms wrap around me in return tightly.

"No, no mad, Stellina mia." She tells me as she sniffles. "I just scared for you, but you are so strong, no like me, but I proud of you. You protect those you love."

She pulls away and cups my face. "You talk to John Paul?"

I shake my head, "No, not yet. I'm on my way to his office," I bite my lip as I look around, "How mad do you think he is?"

She smiles at me softly, "Not mad like yesterday. Yesterday, it's like whole house shake with his anger." She chuckles when I widen my eyes. "I joke, Stella, but he very upset; he loves you so much, figlia. He no want to lose you again, but hard to watch you with someone else, too."

I take a deep breath, "Well, I'm sure you'll hear some more yelling soon."

She smiles, "Good luck," She kisses my cheek before she heads to the kitchen. I watch as Cristian walks out and greets her but then follows her back into the kitchen; I smile as they talk with one another.

As I approach JP's office, I raise my fist to knock but stop when I hear shouting in Italian coming from within the office.

"I do not apologize for my choice, Adonis. Yes, I understand the risk involved, but there is always risk, no? I would do it again."

That sounds like Nicky.

"Yes, there is always risk, Nicola. But you do not take risks when it comes to Stella," Adonis counters.

"She's not some fragile kitten. Her plan was efficient for not having a lot to work with or time to prepare, and she took most of the men out before I even had a chance," Nicky argues.

"You know what the expectation is when I brought you on."

"Yes, she is John Paul's queen; she's been treated as such, has she not? And as his queen, she has as much authority as he does. She gave an order, and I followed it, and I would do it again."

JP's queen? I press my ear against the door to hear a little better.

"You put her in danger, Nicky. You know the consequences for that. I'm sorry, but you will no longer be working here."

I rush into the room.

"You're not firing anyone, Adonis. I put myself in danger, and Nicky did what I asked. So don't take this out on him," I glare at Adonis.

"I'm sorry, Stella, but the decision's been made," Adonis stands.

"Va bene, non preoccuparti, Signorina Stella," Nicky stands and buttons his suit. (It's okay, don't worry, Miss Stella)

"Siediti non vai da nessuna parte!" I order Nicky, and he plops down on the chair. (Sit down; you're not going anywhere)

I turn my attention back on Adonis. "He stays. He'll be my personal detail at all times whether Enzo is around or not. I don't want anyone else. If that doesn't work, then I don't need any other guards."

"John Paul will have to make that decision," Adonis states firmly.

I step up to him, "No. It's my life, my choice. Where is John Paul, anyway?"

"In his room, I believe," Adonis informs me.

"And where is that?" I question, trying to keep my voice still firm, realizing I've never actually been to his room.