Chapter 46

STELLA

The massive banquet is in chaos. Nicky, Enzo, Joey and Tej are corralling Annalisa, Michelle and I back out into the hallway, but I keep looking to see where JP went. I need to be with him. 

Everything felt like it should between us before shots rang out all over the place. 

As Enzo leads us to a small room, we hear more shots going off. Enzo tells us to wait while he goes out to see who's behind the attack.

"I'm not staying behind, Enzo. You know I can help," I tell him.

"Stella, you're staying," Enzo argues with me. 

"I'll stay with the girls," Tej assures him. 

"Please don't go back out there!" Annalisa begs Joey, but he promises her, he'll be back. 

Adonis walks in and tells us he needs Enzo and Joey with him since several of their men where taken out and they follow behind Adonis quickly.

I hold Annalisa, who is crying quietly, desperately worried about Joey. 

More gunshots are heard but this time they sound closer. The minutes tick away achingly slow and I begin to pace the room. There's some shouting and then more gunshots and finally silence; and this time the silence drags on. 

The door handle wiggles and I aim my gun as do Tej and Nicky but we lower them when Enzo walks in. 

His suit is disheveled indicating he was fighting. Annalisa runs to him asking where Joey is and then we see Joey walk in; he has blood dripping down his lip. Annalisa runs to him, but stops short as she slaps him before she starts crying loudly; Joey pulls her into him, wrapping his arms around her. 

I check on Enzo's face and he has a small bruise on his cheek but otherwise in good condition. "Where's JP? Is he okay?"

"He's fine. He's talking to the police. Come on, he wants you out of here," Enzo says, pulling me by the hand as we walk back into the hallway and make our way outside. I'm still on high alert as I look around, surveying my surroundings; looking for anything or anyone that looks out of place. 

Several of the attendees are huddled in small groups outside the venue, still in shock. Some are crying as they sit with their friends or loved ones, others are being assessed by the paramedics that are here now. 

I let out a relieved and happy breath when I see JP and Adonis are talking to a few detectives and policemen. 

Enzo tells us the driver is pulling the car around and should be here soon. My eyes scan the street and down the sidewalks. Several policeman are talking with people or walking to and from the building. 

"Stella!" I turn and am shocked when I see Sean walking quickly towards me with his cousin, Tommy. 

What's he doing here? 

He looks upset yet relieved when he sees me and I look back and see JP and Adonis are now heading toward us as well from my other side and I look between the two of them. 

Everything starts to move in slow motion when I notice a policeman heading straight for Sean. The policeman's hat, is lowered in a way that hides his face until removes it and my eyes land on the goat tattoo on his neck.

He aims his gun at Sean. "Sunny Malone. Jimmy, says hello." Sean and Tommy, both reach for their guns.

"Krishnick, no!" JP yells.

Krishnick turns and shoots towards JP, but Adonis pushes JP out of the way.

Time stands still as I watch Adonis fly back from the impact of the bullet, but the distraction of JP yelling allows Sean and Tommy to shoot Krishnick; more screams and shouting surrounds me.