Chapter 16

We get off the train and start walking away.

"We will make a small circle so it doesn't seem like we follow them," I say and Tyler nods. We walk the other way which takes a longer time to get to Trisha's house.

"Knottsville looks like a peaceful town," Tyler says and looks at me.

"Yeah it is. If you aren't the centre of a drama. Since it's a small town, many people know each other." I smile.

"I can imagine the gossiping," he widens his eyes and I laugh.

"April?" I hear a voice from behind me and I turn around. I freeze for a second and look at Tyler.

"Hi mom," I say and smile awkwardly.

"What are you doing here? I thought you were in Terre Haute today. You could have told me," she says a bit sadly. She looks good, her hair is shiny and her eyes are glowing. She looks much younger when she has enough rest. I am not really surprised I met her but I didn't expect it. Just like Tyler said, it's a small town. I am very happy to see her but it's bad timing.

"Well I came to visit Trisha, she needed some help. I can't spend a long time here that's why I didn't let you know-" I say but someone interrupts me.

"April wanted to surprise you after she visits Trisha. She thought it would make you happy, Mrs. Blake." Tyler says and I look at him in surprise.

"Really? That's so nice of you. I am sorry that I ruined your plan then. And you are?" Mom asks and looks at Tyler.

"I am Tyler. Tyler Willson. April's friend," he answers casually.

"Oh I thought you two are dating-"
"Mom!" I interrupt her and blush. I hope they won't notice. How could she say that? My mom just laughs.

"You seem like a nice guy Tyler. Do you know Brandon by any chance? He is such a sweet kid. It's a shame April broke up with him."

"I don't know him personally," Tyler smiles and I can see he is trying not to sound angry.

"Never mind then. So for how long are you guys friends? I haven't heard about you from April," mom looks at me lovingly and I try not to frown. Why is she embarrassing me?

"We know each other for a few weeks, maybe a month now. And I already told you I had friends in Terre Haute. I just didn't tell you all their names, that's it." I say before Tyler can open his mouth.

"Okay then, I won't bother you more, go to Trisha now. Just don't forget to visit me after, like you wanted," she comes to me and I hug her, breathing in the familiar scent of flowers and coffee. I don't want to let go, I want to stay in the safety of my mother's arms forever. I missed her much, I just tried to not think about it since I had other worries.

"Bye mom," I force myself to say and she pulls away.

"Bye, return soon. I will be waiting." she smiles.

"Sure, don't worry." I wave and we start walking away.

"She really doesn't know anything," Tyler says when we are far enough. I know what he is talking about. Brandon and the things he had done.

"No, she doesn't. It's better this way. She had enough problems and I didn't want her to be concerned. It would hurt her knowing I got hurt. She has experienced enough with dad already." I say with a sad smile.

"Your mom is pretty," Tyler says after a while.

"Yeah she is. I always admired her. Once I asked her why she isn't a super model and she just laughed at me. I wonder why she didn't find a better guy. Maybe she just fell into the trap like I did. She deserves better,"