Chapter 8

When I wake up I quickly get dressed and run down to eat breakfast. I need to hurry today, I can't miss the bus. I don't think Roy will take me to school today. After finishing my breakfast I take my bag and walk to the bus stop. The bus just arrives so I get in and look out of the window.

When we arrive, I walk into the class and sit next to Carter. He looks buried in his thoughts so I say nothing and take out my books.

The time flies quickly and my day is pretty normal until the last lesson comes. We are having P.E. I put my hair into a small ponytail. We are playing volleyball. I am divided into a team and we start the game. I don't really watch it, somehow I play it without paying too much attention. I am distracted, I can't stop thinking of today.

The end of school is getting closer and all I do is think about information I will get today. According to Carter's words, it's something bad so I tried to prepare myself for the worst. But I never know what will surprise me.

The coach leaves the gym, probably getting a phone call.

Somehow the ball gets in my hands. I know I need to throw it on the other side, but I can't focus on the game. It's okay April. Just throw it and it's over. The game will continue without you again. I stand in a throwing position, I throw the ball in the air and try to hit it with all of my strength so it lands on the other side. But my thoughts wander to afternoon again, so I don't see where I throw the ball.

I am interrupted by a loud crash. I look at the cause of that sound. There is a broken window not far from me. What happened? Everyone is staring at me and it finally hits me. I broke the window. When I threw the ball, I didn't know I was aiming for the window. But I broke it. And I have no idea how.

"What did happen?!" Coach comes running into the gym.

Everyone is quiet, no one daring to speak. I know it's my fault. And I feel very guilty. I am not even that strong, how could I just break a window? I sigh. I am about to admit I did it, when someone interrupts me:

"I did it." We all turn around after the voice. There is a tall person standing there and I recognize him immediately. It's Zach Willson. I look at him, not understanding why he would say that. Everyone saw I broke the window, it's just a matter of time someone says it out loud.

"What?" I hear Samantha's voice. I knew it would be her to speak first. She is going to continue speaking but Zach repeats:
"I did it." There is some kind of power or dominance in his voice and no one dares to say otherwise.

"What?" Coach repeats Samantha's question.

"I broke the window. It was an accident and I will pay for it." He says casually like it is no big deal.

"And who are you?" Coach asks again

"You must probably be new in the school if you don't know me. I am Zach Willson. Ex-student of this school." Half of the class gasp in surprise.

"Sure that I know you. Every teacher in this school knows about the biggest troublemaker in the history of Terre Haute north vigo high school." His voice seems cold.

"And may I ask what brings you back, Mr. Willson?"

"I just came to see my brothers. And of course, Miss Blake. She seems to be a big talk of this school, lately." He says openly. I throw a quick glance at Bill. Is it true? Are people talking about me because I hang out with the Willson brothers? I don't even know. How could I if all I do is think about the shadows? I have enough problems to care about. But I could have noticed if I wanted to. Or not?

The bell rings and everyone's starts running out of class.

"Wait, where are you all going! You weren't dismissed yet!" He screams but the students are already gone .