Chapter 10

They care for me and as I can see they would do anything to keep me safe. They are examples of a healthy relationship. And that's why I have to stay with them. Because now they are not just the only ones who can help me, now they are the ones who care for me. And I care for them.

"You are right. I still had hope inside of me. But now my hope is to stop anything those shadows are planning, save Brandon and...eat a sandwich. But in a different order, of course." I say.

"What?" Ethan looks at me, clearly looking confused.

"Yes. I will participate in your plan to save the world." I smile.

"No, I meant the sandwich part."
"Oh right. I am just hungry of all this drama that started when I met you. No. I think it started sooner. Like...when I was born?" I start walking to the kitchen.

"Are you okay, April?" I hear Tyler walking behind me.

"Yep. Absolutely." I say but I don't know if it's true. Am I really okay?

"I don't think she is telling the truth," I hear Ethan whisper.I ignore him and walk in the kitchen

I start looking for the things I need. I open maybe a dozen cupboards but I can't find a normal plate.

"Looking for this?" Zach asks and hands me a plate.

"Thank you." I smile at him and he starts taking out everything I need for my sandwich. We somehow end up making sandwiches together and I find it relaxing. I didn't know I could enjoy my time with Zach like this.

"May I ask a question? It has been bothering me for some time." I ask and cut a slice of bread.

"Sure, go ahead," He says and I look out of the kitchen. No one is in the living room, they probably continued unpacking.

"Why are you calling the shadows...well shadows? And not sombras?" I look at him and he laughs quietly.

"That's what you're asking? It's not hard to answer. When I was born, my dad travelled a lot. He was killing the shadows with some group of friends. So I spent more time with my mom. She called them shadows. And when Bryan was born later my dad stopped travelling so he could take care of his family more. He called the shadows las sombras and since he was the one to teach us about our ability to see them, everyone called them sombras except me. I remembered them as shadows just like my mother called them. I was more used to it.

Although I make fun of my brothers for wanting to be more dramatic with the spanish name and stuff. My grandparents were actually from Mexico, that's why my dad had spoken some spanish words." he says and puts finished sandwiches on two plates. He hands me one and he walks to the table with the other one. I go after him and sit in a chair.

"And how much younger is Bryan?" I ask another question. Talking with Zach was really easy.

"He is four years younger, I think he is fifteen already." He shrugs and I give him a confused look.

"Just kidding. Of course I know he is nineteen, I know all of my brother's ages. I've seen them grow up." He rolls his eyes and I laugh. We eat our sandwiches and I feel much better.

"And what about you? Do you have any siblings?" he asks with his mouth full.

"No, I don't. I have one cousin, Michelle. But I think she hates me for some reason" I say and take another bite.

"No offence April, but I don't believe you. How could someone hate you?" He asks me with a serious face.

"No idea. But it's obviously possible. Samantha, a girl from my class, hates me as well." I shrug.