Chapter 3

After finishing maths I go to the kitchen to make some scrambled eggs. Then I call Trisha.

"Hey Trisha!" I say with excitement in my voice. I didn't hear from her for a long time. Last time it was a few weeks ago, during summer holiday when we had a sleepover.

"Hi April! You finally called! How is the new school? Is it better there? And do you still see those shadows?" Trisha was one of few people who knew about it. As I am counting, only four people know about my "mental illness". My mom, aunt Alice, Tom and Trisha.

"Slow down," I laugh and take a deep breath to answer all of her questions.

"The school is pretty fine so far, but it is so much bigger! Everything is so big compared to Knottsville! I could get lost easily. But sure it's not better here. Knottsville is my hometown, and it is the best! And about the shadows...well, yes. Nothing changed. But I hope it will get better when I will start focusing on different things, like school..."

"Oh I am sorry April. But I am sure it will get better. Just take your pills and call me if anything happens." I can almost see her smiling in front of my eyes.

"Oh and what's new in Knottsville?" I ask casually. But she knows what I want to know.

"Well, almost..."
"Trisha?"
"Well, Brandon is being a jerk again." She doesn't say more and I sigh.

"Well, thanks for the information anyway. I am sorry I had to leave you there with him...I hope we can meet soon. I miss you already. Bye Trisha," I say.

"Bye..."

I end the call and go upstairs. I lay in my new bed and quickly fall asleep.

. . .

I wake up early in the morning. I take a cold shower and eat a granola bar. I put on jeans and black T-shirt. I comb my black short puffy hair and look in the mirror. My green emerald eyes shine brightly as always. I have some time left, so I decide to walk to school.

 As I step outside, a morning breeze hits my face. I remember the way to school from yesterday, so it was no problem for me to take the right turns. I enjoy the fresh air and I try to memorize my surroundings. Finally I arrived at the school. I follow the flow of students and manage to get into my class without asking anyone for help. I sit next to Samantha and smile at her, hoping I could somehow avoid becoming her enemy but she turns away and I sigh. I really didn't mean to hurt her in any way, but if she wants to be angry, I can't help her. It's her decision after all.

The day goes by and I still follow Carter to classrooms. As on purpose, all of my classes are with him. I don't mind that we aren't talking, as long as I don't get lost I am okay. It's finally maths, my last class. I'm just thinking about the shadows and how I haven't seen one today. Maybe it's true and new surroundings will help me. If I don't see a shadow for the next few days, I could try and stop taking my pills. I bet mom will be very happy about it. Suddenly, Samantha kicked me under the desk. I want to say something to her but I hear my name and freeze.

"Miss Blake? Would you mind explaining to us why you aren't paying attention to my lesson?" the older teacher says.

I open my mouth to say something but I can't find an excuse. What would I say? I really don't know.

"Detention." He says coldly and turns back to the board.

I just put my head down and nod.

Great. Second day of school and I already got detention.

. . .

I walk in a room with few people. I can see a familiar looking guy in the back. Is it the boy that I bumped into? He has nice, light brown curly hair. Few of his curls are falling in his eyes. A younger teacher suddenly walks in the room. He looks kind and I hope this will go well.
"Okay, so you are having detention now. Stay here one hour and you can go home after. I have to go now, I will come to check on you later." he says and leaves the room. Well, at least I don't need to do any work.