Chapter 2

I wake up early in the morning. I easily comb my black short puffy hair and put on black sweatpants and a dark green t-shirt. I decide to go for a walk before breakfast. I get out of the house and lock the door. It was probably raining at night, because the path is wet. But the sun is shining now, only a few clouds are visible in the sky. It's warm and nice out here. I breathe in the fresh morning air and start walking away from the house. I am down the street when someone shouts from behind me. I turn around. A big gray animal jumps on me. I close my eyes in shock and I fall on the ground.

"Max! Max, go away!" someone says. I slowly open my eyes. There is a husky dog standing over me, trying to lick my face. I hear footsteps running towards me and suddenly, two hands grab the dog's collar and pull him away.

"I am so, so sorry. Let me help you get up." There is a taller boy standing in front of me. His hair is pitch black. He has blue eyes and pale skin. He has beautiful freckles spread over his nose and cheeks. He offers me his hand. I take it and he helps me stand up.

"Are you okay? I am really sorry. Max- my dog ran away from me," he says, looking sad and a bit angry.

"It's okay," I look at him again. He is wearing black clothes. He looks at his dog in disappointment but Max just wags his tail. I clean the mud off my clothes. I have a few bruises on my arms but nothing looks serious.

"I am terribly sorry. Max, you are a bad boy. Bad boy," the boy says while putting a leash on Max's collar. I look at the dog again, he has beautiful light gray fur on his back and white fur on his chest. He has big blue happy eyes and he looks playful. He is cute, I think to myself and I smile at the dog.

"It really is okay. You don't need to apologize." I say again.

"I have to go now. Nice meeting you...um"

"Roy," he smiles. "It's Roy."

"Right. Nice meeting you Roy." I turn around and go back to the house. I can feel him watching me for a moment. I guess this is it from my walk.

. . .

I am eating a sandwich when I get a message from my aunt.

Hello April. I am sorry to say this, but I have to stay with my friend Molly. Something isn't working in my car, so I will have to stay until they repair it. Your bus to school should leave every half an hour, get out at the fourth stop, the school is near. You will see it. I am sorry to leave you in such a situation.

I read the text again. I answer quickly, saying it's okay. I can do it somehow. Can't I?

. . .

Sunday passed quickly. I finally unpacked my things. Then I ordered a pizza and watched some TV. After that, I prepared things for school. Gosh, I am so nervous. I hope one empty notebook will be enough for the first day. Somehow I managed to fall asleep with all the stress around me. When I woke up I put on a bigger white T-shirt and black ripped jeans. It is supposed to be a very warm day today. I quickly ate some pancakes I cooked yesterday. But when I went to take my bag, I saw something that scared me. There was that shadowy figure, standing right in my bedroom! I always saw them before, but never inside of my house. I panicked. I quickly grabbed my bag and ran down the stairs. I locked the door. And here I am now, standing in front of my aunt's house, really scared from what I saw.

"You look like you've seen a ghost," someone says . I quickly spin around but it's just Roy.

"You scared me! Since when do you sneak on people like that?" I say instead of saying hello.

"I am sorry. I was just walking around when I saw you and thought- I didn't quite get your name yesterday," he smiles. I didn't even say it, I think. But he looks kind and his smile is honest. It doesn't look like he is making fun of me. It probably won't hurt if I at least introduce myself.