Chapter 15

"Why are you here?" I sigh, looking at him in defeat.

"I came to check on you, is that a problem?" He asks with a frown on his face. The brothers are quiet but Carter still didn't let him in.

"Yes, it is. I told you I am okay." I say, my voice getting angrier. Tyler looks at me with a confused look and I look at the floor. I didn't tell them about the conversation with Roy today and now they are going to find out. They will be sad and probably disappointed.

"It doesn't look so.'' His eyes travel to my chin again and I look at Bryan. He nods his head, giving me an approval. I walk out of the door, looking at Roy.

"I know you are confused. And I know you don't trust the brothers. But this is a big deal and I can't tell you what's going on because you could be in danger. The Willson brothers are protecting me from other people, those who actually try to hurt me. Brothers aren't the threat but other people are. I got attacked today after school. That's why Tyler is covered in blood, that's why I have a band aid on my chin.

They just try to protect me and I know you want to do so as well, but I don't want to get you involved in this. Because me and the brothers are already in danger, bigger danger than you think. I am trying to avoid you because I don't want those people to know you are my friend. Then they could hurt you and I seriously don't want anyone to get hurt even more. You don't need to trust me but I am being honest with you.

I can't tell you more, it's just too complicated.'' I say and look him in the eyes so he believes me. I can't read his face, I have no idea what he is thinking about. I look back at the brothers and they give me a sad smile, letting me know I made a good decision. I smile back and look towards Roy again. His fists are clenched but he is no longer frowning.

"I- I honestly don't know what to say. I know you are wise enough and I don't think you lied to me. But it's making me confused. I am sorry if I hurt you before. I will think about what you said. But please, don't tell me to stay away. I am willing to help you even if it's dangerous.'' He says but I cut him off.

"No, Roy. It's really serious. This is a different kind of danger.''

"Did you call the police?'' he asks.

"No, the police will not deal with this. This is something different and you definitely can't tell anyone about this. Promise me.'' I say.

"Okay. But I will still not leave it alone. As I said, I am willing to help.'' He turns around and starts walking away, giving me a sign this conversation ended. I turn back, a tired look plastered on my face.

"It's okay, April. You did well. He can't know about what we are dealing with and we will do everything to keep him safe, don't worry.'' Zach says and I nod, walking inside of the house.

"I think you should get some rest, April. It has been a rough day. We can take a day off, we will continue the training tomorrow." Bryan squeezes my shoulder and I just nod and look at the floor. It's true, I never expected this day to end like this. I walk up the stairs and just lay on my bed. I fall asleep in a few minutes. I think someone wanted to wake me up for dinner but then gave up because I slept tightly.

---

The next morning, Ethan wakes me up again. This time I get dressed without complaining and stay quiet the whole run. It is still very tiring but I just feel numb today. Sometimes I flinch at every sound but most of the time I just feel empty. Empty and emotionless. Ethan notices my strange behaviour but he doesn't ask questions.

He understands how exhausted I feel from all of this. He tries to joke more and he stays close to me so I feel safe and I am thankful for it. When we return home I take a shower and notice the dark bags under my eyes. I keep thinking about the letters and it's throwing me out of my system.