Chapter 12

I can hear the brothers discussing something but I can't pay attention to them. When the detention ends, I stand up automatically and follow the brothers out. Tyler and Carter seem to argue about something and Ethan is walking next to me.

"April?" He asks, lowering his voice.

"Mhm?" I say, not really listening to what's going on around.

"You could learn how to fight." He suggests and I look at him.
"What?" I ask, surprised by his words. He isn't making fun of me, he isn't teasing me. He just said it. Just like that.

"Yeah, I mean it. I think I get what situation you are in right now. But if you could learn how to fight, maybe it would be enough to convince them to take you with us." He nods as if approving of his own words.

"You think so?" I still sound surprised.

"Yeah. And not only that. It's important to know how to protect yourself. It would only help if we want to end this shadow drama." He says seriously. Ethan doesn't take many things seriously. He must really mean this, then.

"I think it sounds like a good idea." I say.

"Really?" His face lightens up, happy with his plan.

"Well it's much better than sitting at home and worrying when your kidnappers will return." I smile honestly at him.
"Who would say you could be a cool guy and not make fun of me at the same time?" I say and his usual grin appears. Feeling better, I step in the car and look out of the window, enjoying the ride.

I get out of the car and immediately know something is off.

But I try to ignore it, knowing I am just being paranoid.

The brothers drive off and I walk in the house. I can smell some nice floral scent and I walk to the kitchen. My jaw almost drops. There is my cousin Michelle, sitting on the chair. She has long, black and perfectly straightened hair as always. She is wearing natural make-up, her eyes shining beautifully. She is sitting straight, with a perfect posture, her eyebrows frowning. And I know I am the reason of her frown. I stop, not daring to take a next step. My aunt is standing next to my beautiful cousin, looking worried.

"Look Michelle, we really didn't have a different option," my aunt is trying to calm her down and I guess she was here for a long time. I bet she already knows I slept in her room.

"It doesn't matter, mom! You didn't even tell me! You know I don't like her and you just invite her to live in this house and sleep in my bed?!" She sounds really mad, talking as I am not even there.

"Michelle. Don't talk like that." Aunt says, giving Michelle a warning look.

"And why not? I came to visit you mom, and I found her living here! I can't stand it! Like seriously- you could tell me first." She is still angry, pointing at me.
"Well I didn't let you know because you wouldn't approve. April didn't have a different choice, it was hard for her. Could you at least understand that?" Aunt's voice sounds more tired than mad, obviously not feeling like arguing.

"Well then she could go and live with dad." Michelle blurts out. Aunt freezes for a second, taken back by her words. I also stare at her in shock. She looks a little bit surprised by herself, I can see regret in her eyes but she stands up and storms out of the kitchen, me jumping from her way. Aunt stands there, not knowing what to do. Michelle said really harsh words and they hit my aunt like a bullet. I walk towards my aunt and put my hand on her shoulder, calming her down.

"She didn't mean that. She is just mad and I get it." I say. I know Michelle had an amazing relationship with her dad, my uncle. He passed away a year ago because of a plane crash. He wanted to visit and surprise Michelle in Canada. According to my aunt he had a small fight with Michelle and on his way back home the plane crashed due to a strong storm. When it happened it was really hard for her. She keeps blaming herself for his death. She never got to apologize for the fight. She also never had such a good relationship with my aunt. She was closer to my uncle. And I get it, he was really cool. I think she feels guilty and still has the anger and sadness inside of her.