Chapter 7

"Was it the same guy who borrowed you a hoodie a few days ago?" she keeps asking.

"Well...yes. He is my friend," I say, trying not to sound embarrassed.

"Then it's good you found some friends to hang out with," she smiles at me and I am happy she didn't ask more questions about it.

"Are you excited for tomorrow?"

"What's tomorrow?" I ask.

"Oh April, you are going to Knottsville," she laughs. How could I forget? I was excited for such a long time. I am going to visit mom and Trisha after ages. I was happy about it and I couldn't wait to see them, but I totally forgot about it because of all the drama happening in these days. How can I even talk to my mom without lying to her? I can't just tell her everything that happened. Maybe I could tell Trisha... I am sure she would help me.

"Yeah, I am very excited for tomorrow," I answer my aunt's question.

---------------------------------------------

I wake up early in the morning. I quickly get dressed into warm clothes and pack some things in a small backpack. I quickly eat breakfast, brush my teeth and comb my hair.

"I am ready!" I scream from upstairs and quickly run down. I put on my shoes. My aunt is already waiting at the door. We walk to the car and she drives me to the train station.

"Goodbye April. Don't forget to return early, the ride is long and you have school tomorrow." She says.

"Don't worry aunt Alice." I answer and get on the train.

I put on some music and try focusing on the words. It works for a moment but then my brain wanders to Willson brothers again. I try imagining what would happen if I wouldn't bump into Tyler that day. I would think I am mentaly ill, take my pills, probably hang out with Roy. I wouldn't be afraid to fall asleep and now I would be more than happy to visit mom and Trisha. But so many things changed. I am happy I met the brothers, I feel good with them. I don't have to hide what I am, they understand me perfectly. I may know them only for a few days but it feels like I've known them forever. They helped me a lot. I look at the new phone in my hand. I should probably text Tyler, letting him know that I am going to visit my mom. He sure is worried about me, after what they said to me.

I think about it a little but then I text him. We arrive at Knottsville station and I quickly get off the train. I look around. These familiar surroundings calm me down and I deeply inhale. I spot my mom in the back and my happiness returns. I forget about everything bad that happened as I run towards her and hug her. She hugs me back, smiling.

She pulls back and looks at me from up to down.

"You've changed," she says.

"What do you mean?" I ask. Last time I looked in the mirror I looked the same so I have no idea what she is talking about.

"You look less...confused. You look happier with yourself, less insecure." She answers my question, looking in my eyes. We start walking in the direction of our house. It's not far away and we are used to walking everywhere.

"So, what's new?" she asks.

I tell her about Roy and the Willson brothers. I talk slowly, choosing my words wisely. I can't tell her everything so I just tell her they are my friends from school.

"That's good to hear. So are you happy there? Don't you need to come back home? You know you can come back anytime." she says after I finish talking. I think about it for a little. I would love to come back. I miss this. Mom, Trisha, everything in Knottsville. Part of me would say yes but I know why I have to stay in Terre Haute for now. Knowing who I truly am doesn't change much. I need to stay because of my secret and Willson brothers as well. I know I need them. They are the only ones who can help me. And then there was the shadow in my room. I can't just walk out of this right now- in the middle of finding the truth.