Chapter 13

We walk in the house and I feel ridiculously tired and exhausted. Zach locks the door.

"I will be upstairs." I say quietly and start walking to now my room. I am really confused. Why did that happen? I wasn't supposed to feel that way while holding the weapon. What would happen if I held it a little bit longer? Would I faint? I always thought something was wrong with me. Mainly because I could see the shadows. But why don't I feel differently now that I know they are real? When I know there are more people like me? Why do I still feel like an outcast and why are weird things happening to me? Things that aren't happening to anyone else I know. My life is just too complicated.

I sigh and walk to the room. Shivers run through my body and I hurry to close the window. How could I forget to close it? It's really cold here right now. I wrap myself in a blanket and realise something is off. Something has changed. I look around the room carefully, wanting to spot the difference.

My eyes drift to the table. There is something on it. I walk closer, suspicion growing in my head. It is a letter. My hands tremble as I take it from the table and open it slowly.

Dear April

With this letter I am letting you know we aren't as dumb as you think. We know you are hiding in this house, being protected by so called Willson brothers. They may protect you but tell me, who will protect them? We both know you are their weakness. With you, their soft spots are becoming exposed and tell me, would you like them to get hurt because of you? I will just say, quit hiding behind them. Just do as we tell you and no one will have to get hurt or die. Remember these words. We have ears and eyes everywhere, we know more than you might think.
Still feel safe?
Sincerely, Brandon
:)

The letter falls out of my hands as I gasp for air. I quickly pick it up and turn it around, but there is nothing more written on it. I sit on the bed and bury my face in the pillow. What do they want from me? Why am I so important and why can't they just leave me alone? I don't know how I became mixed up in all of this but I just want to have a normal life.

And I want to see mom. I miss mom so much. How did all of this happen? Should I move to Australia so this drama stops? What am I supposed to do? I have milion questions and no answers. I thought I could live for a while, being safe in this house. But when I am not safe in here where will I be safe? And the Willson brothers! They aren't safe as well! Brandon is right, I am just putting them in danger.

What kind of friend am I? They protect me and all I do is bring them problems. Why can't I just live normally?
Okay, I need to stop this self pity. I need to do something...but what? The letter didn't say what I am supposed to do.

Just do as we tell you.

But they wrote nothing else! I am getting annoyed by all of this mystery going on around me. Why can't just people talk straight? Why do they need to talk in poems or in a mysterious way? I groan. I feel so sad and frustrated as I realise this is probably what they want me to feel. To be confused and not to think straight. I try to calm myself down. I can't let anyone see the letter. Until I decide what to do, I can't risk people knowing about it.

I pick the letter again and hide it under the soil of a plant that's in my room. I quickly wipe my hands so there is no soil on them. Soon someone knocks on my door.

"Come in," I say in a calm voice. Zach's head pops up in my door frame and he slightly smiles at me.

"I made dinner, come to eat." He says and leaves. I don't really feel like eating, the letter got my stomach twisting, but these days were rough and I know I need to eat more. I need to restore my energy and heal quickly. I come down the stairs and suddenly feel so hungry when I smell the food in the air. I smile and walk to the kitchen.