Chapter 5

"What?"

"They aren't hallucinations actually. Those shadows as you call them are real. Although we prefer las sombras, spanish name for them. Your brain didn't make them up, you can really see them. That's why those pills aren't working." he explains.

"That means your illness doesn't exist at all. But it isn't the only problem. Someone who is making those pills is trying to control you. He gives into them some substance that sticks on your brain. If too much of it gets on your brain, they will be able to control some of your actions. If the substance gets all over your brain- boom. They have full control of it. They know what you think, dream or hear. Your blood is full of it and those pills as well," Bryan says.

"How could they control me? That's impossible!"

"It is hard to explain but it is possible." Bryan sighs.

I nervously look around the room. My hands are shaking. I close my eyes tightly, thinking about what Bryan had said.
"Shoot. I think we told her too much," I hear Ethan say.

"Don't worry April. That substance will dissolve in 48 hours.

Just don't take your pills and everything will be fine," Carter whispers. I nod but I keep my eyes shut.

"Hey, are you ok?" Tyler touches my shoulder. I stay quiet. He sits next to me.

"I am sorry if I shouted at-" Bryan starts but I interrupt him.

"No, it isn't your fault. It is just hard for me to process." I say.

"But- why would someone want to control me?"

"That's hard to say but I assume you are important in some way. But we know one thing. Someone who made those pills knows about people like us. If you were normal, the substance could kill you or create a brain cancer," Bryan looked at me.

"It could what!? What do you mean by if I were normal, and people like us?" I almost choke.

"Here it comes," Ethan sighs.

"You know April, we are just like you. That's why we didn't freak out when you said you can see shadows. That's why we don't think you are crazy. We can also see those shadows." Tyler says and tries for a small smile.

"Wait, but that means you are crazy as well!" I scream.

"I really like that girl," Ethan starts laughing.

"We are not crazy April. Some people- people like us are born like this. We were born with more developed brain. We have something like a sixth sense that allows us to see those shadows. No other people can see them, they are invisible to them. But they are really there. You know, our parents were also special. They could also see shadows. That's why we have advantage. We knew about it since we were like- three years old," Bryan looks at Carter while telling me this.

"Yes but there is a time people can see them," Ethan says.

Everyone looks at him, their eyes saying shut up.

"It's sleep paralysis. Those people think they have hallucinations based on their dream but that's not true. That's the moment people actually see those shadows." he grins. Tyler sighs in a relief. Are they trying to hide something from me?

"Yes. That's one of the moments people can see shadows," Bryan says.

"And what is the second one?" I ask curiously.

"That isn't important right now," Tyler says quickly. So they are hiding something. My head spins because of all the information they said to me.

"Are you sure you are okay?" Carter asks.