Chapter 67

I've finished as well and look at Joe who's just posting a picture on Instagram he has made of his pancakes. The girl walks towards us again. I sit back a bit and expect her being nervous around Joe again. She takes my plate as well. "Thank you." She says. "No thank you." I smile and she looks awkwardly from me to Joe again. "What's your name?" Joe asks and the girl nervously plays with her hair. "Jamie." She smiles to Joe who's just as relaxed as he always is. "Well thank you Jamie, the pancakes we're delicious." He puts his phone away.

"I love your name by the way. I'm Joe and this is Kayla, she's m.." I know what he's about to say but I don't want him to. She's really into Joe and if she would hear that I'm his girlfriend, her good mood will disappear, definitely. I look at her face which is full of hope that he isn't going to say what he's about to say. I quickly cut him off and finish his sentence. "I'm just a good friend, nothing else." I look at Joe who's really confused about what just happened. He looks questionable to me, he's really confused. I laugh and look at the girl who's clearly happy with it. "Can I get you something to drink?" She asks. Joe orders a smoothie and I shake my head. "No thank you."

Jamie walks away and I burst into laughing. "Kayla, what the heck?" He laughs a bit but it's obviously fake. "Why don't you want others to know?" He looks awkwardly around him. "Are you ashamed by m.." I quickly cut him off. "No! Definitely not Joe, but are you not seeing what's happening?" He shakes his head. "That Jamie girl is SO into you, I don't want to make her upset. I mean, we won't see her often again and if you told her that I'm your girlfriend she will be disappointed, even though she probably won't see you again, at least if I was her my good mood would disappear immediately for the day. I don't want to ruin it for her."

He looks really confused from me to Jamie and back. "Wait, how do you know she's intome?" I laugh about him being like this. "You're the worst! It's so obvious Joe." He laughs and looks to his right where Jamie's walking to our table. Joe looks one last time confused from me to Jamie and then shakes his head. He smiles to Jamie who gives the smoothie to Joe. "Thank you." He says and Jamie smiles. "No problem." She looks from me to Joe.

"Having any plans today?" I laugh and she realizes how this sounds like she's going to ask him to do something with him. "Oh no! I was just interested!" She says laughingly. Joe shakes his head and drinks a bit of his smoothie. "I'm not sure, but I'm going to hang out with my friend today." She smiles and sits down on the corner of the table next to us. And before we know we have a 20 minute conversation with Jamie.

Joe gets up from the chair. "We should be going, well thank you for the good service Jamie. It was really nice to meet you." He smiles to her and Jamie immediately stands up again. "No problem at all, it's just my job. It was really nice to meet you too. I hope to see you around sometime again." Joe nods and smiles a bit. "Yeah, well bye for now then." Joe grabs his phone from the table and beckons me. I follow him, walking away from Jamie. Joe looks to me and laughs. "Told you so." I say laughingly and push him against his shoulder just before we walk out of the little café.

"Do you think she was cute?" I ask teasingly and Joe smiles sarcastically. "Stop it." I laugh and wrap my hands around his muscled biceps. I lean closer to Joe's face. "You think she's cute, don't you?" Joe laughs sarcastically again. "Kayla! You're just my friend, so stay away from me." He pushes me away from him. I giggle a bit, I like to tease Joe with things like this.

"Jokes. Come here." He wraps his arm around my shoulders. "Yes she was cute, but you're twenty times cuter." He gives me a quick kiss on my head and nods in the direction of a shop. "I want to buy a skateboard again. The last time I was here I did and I never regretted it. I nod and we walk into the shop.

"Cute girl spotted!" A tall guy from the back of the shop walks towards us. "She's mine mate." I gasp a bit, she's mine. I can't. "Jokes dude. What are you looking for?" Joe explains what he's looking for and the next thing I know is that I've to try to keep up with two guys walking through the store with twenty thousand skateboards and snapbacks.

"Yeah I like this one." He says and grabs a board, it's black on the top and on the other side it's wood with a word on it, probably a label or something. I look around and grab a snapback. I always wished I could pull this off but I just can't. I put it on Joe's head what makes him laugh. I love it when he's wearing snapbacks, I don't even know why.

He puts the snapback back on my head and makes an aw sound. "Cute as fuck." He says and laughs. I pull a sarcastic smile. Then I pose weirdly and I make the guy from the shop laugh. I don't understand but I'm happy I've made him happy somehow. "Don't you want a skateboard as well?" He asks and I check behind me if he's not talking to someone else. "Me?" I ask and point at myself. He nods and I pull a very doubtful face. "But I can't skate at all!"

"But you can learn it easily."

We walk outside with two boards and I laugh. "How did you two convince me in the first place? I'm absolutely terrible!" Joe laughs and shakes his head. "I'll help you." I start laughing. "Good luck with that!" He stops walking and puts his hand underneath my chin. "You'll be fine." He whispers. He comes a bit closer to kiss me and I stop him for a second. "Wait, I've this now!" I put my board on the ground and step on it. I'm the same height as Joe now. He laughs and kisses me, in the middle of the street.

"How am I even meant to do this?" I laugh while standing next to my board. Joe laughs and puts his board on the side of the stone path. He slowly grabs my hand. He wants to start talking but his voice doesn't let him. He coughs and smiles a bit. I get on the board and Joe starts pulling me. "Joe! I'm going to fall! Definitely!" He laughs and shakes his head. "I bet you don't, okay.. One.. Two..." I'm scared about what he's going to do after said three.

"Three.." He gives me one last push and lets my hand go. "Joe!" I'm actually quite scared to fall. "Just stay above the board, you'll be fine!" He screams but I don't pay attention to it anymore, I'm too scared to fall. I'm riding down the little hill and I'm not slowing down speed at all. I feel like I can fall any second. I bend my knees a bit and I immediately feel a lot more safe standing on the board.

"Hey!" I look up a bit and find Joe skating next to me. He laughs big. "You're doing it!" He says happily, but I'm not so sure about it. I can't do anything else than this, so how am I doing something? "Kay, we're down the hill already, try to push yourself forward with your feet like this." He puts his feet on the ground and pushes himself forward. "I'm going to fall if I do that!"

Joe shakes his head laughingly and we both slow down. Joe jumps of his board and I put my feet on the ground to stop as well. "You will be fine Kay, I promise you." I sigh and put on feet on my board again. "I'll try it, but it's your fault if I fall and then you have to carry me home." He laughs and nods. "I promise, I will."

I push myself forward two times quite quick after each other and put my other feet on the board again. I'm not going fast but I'm not falling either. Joe passes me on my right and when he passes me, he winks. I look at him skating in front of me. He looks so happy like this. I try to keep up with him but that's a lost cause, I'm still very bad at it, and I won't learn it in one afternoon I'm afraid.

I'm sitting on my skateboard while watching Joe skating a bit more. "Hey.." I look behind me and find Jamie. "You're Joe's best friend right?" I try not to laugh about it and nod. "I was wondering if you could give him my number, I think he's pretty cute. Sorry if this is weird for you to hear though." I laugh a bit. "I've heard that multiple times before." I take the little paper with apparently her number on it. "I'll give it to him for sure."

I like talking to Jamie, it's only a bit awkward as she's an obvious crush on my boyfriend. "So you don't have to work now eh?" I ask to avoid an awkward silence. "I was having a break." I look behind me and realize we're actually in front of the café. "I think I have to go back though." I nod and smile a bit.

She walks back to the café and I see Joe skating past me. "I've got Jamie's number for you mate!" I raise the little note with her number and laugh. Joe looks confused at me. He doesn't pay attention to where he's going and the next thing I know is Joe falling of his board on the stone floor. "Joe!"