friends close ememies closer

Bryce and Noah didn't leave on bad terms but they didn't exactly leave on good ones, Noah was so sure he was never going to see him again. Noah was always in one way or another jealous of Bryce because even though he was caption Bryce was favored by the couch or what Noah called dad.

Noah and his father were always really close meaning his father didn't mean to hurt him or make him feel bad, Noah just always took Bryce as competition their friendship was the definition of "friends close enemies closer."

Bryce looked up to Noah. He thought the world of him, which was sweet until it turned to jealously an undeniable longing for everything Noah had. When Noah's father died and he told the team he was leaving to become a surgeon Bryce took it harder than everyone even Noah. He bet him it wouldn't last.

"I've got to tell y'all something about next semester." Noah, the team and his girlfriend Kate were at dinner celebrating their win. It was their first game without Noah's dad.

"What man you tryin to beat me for team captain again next year." Bryce said laughing, food still in his mouth.

"Na man it's all yours."

"Now don't tell me your giving up that easy."

"I'm not coming back." Noah blurted out in a breath looking down at his plate of food.

"What do you mean your not coming back?"
Bryce looked angry really angry like he was going to burn down a building angry.

"My mom and dad are dead Bryce."

"I know that but you can stay keep up your dads legacy."

"Bryce I'm going to become a surgeon, I know I couldn't save my parents from drowning but I can save others who need it. Who need me."

"Na this isn't going to last you'll be back."

"Look on the bright side, you get to be caption."

"What no, I want you to be caption, Noah you can't leave."

"Look I'm sorry I'm letting y'all down okay but this is for my father."

"Your father wouldn't want this tell him Kate."

Kate hadn't said anything the entire dinner. She was sitting across from Noah looking down at her food as if not hearing her name being called. Kate was a cheerleader at the high school her, Noah and all of Noah's team went too, but apparently Noah wasn't coming back to the team senior year, it didn't mean they had to break up, but it did mean they weren't going to see each other as much.

"Kate."

Noah knew what he had said was gonna hurt her the most, he really hoped she understood where he was coming from."

"Kate." Noah said again.

"It's fine." She said still looking down.

"I'm fine"