trust is earned

"Noah it's okay you don't have to explain," Dixie said walking into her apartment with Noah following close behind. "No no, I want to." Noah sits down on her couch making himself comfortable. In the past couple of months, both Noah and Dixie have gotten extremely used to each other's company. Even though they haven't exactly decided what they are, being near each other and learning new things about the other person is enough for them.

"Come sit with me."

Noah patted the empty space on the couch gesturing Dixie to sit down. She eventually gave in sitting next to him with her legs over his lap and her cheek nestled up to his shoulder. He smiled putting his hands on her legs taking a deep breath and figuring out a way to tell his story.

"Noah you really do have to explain," Dixie said realizing the expression on his face read worried and nervous. She wanted him to know that she trusted him that he didn't have to blurt out every part of his life in one conversation she would wait, wait until he was ready.

"She was my wife." He said after a few moments not meeting her eyes. "They used to be friends Mads and Lorelei, but Lorelei betrayed her trust and they became enemies. I proposed to Lorelei not knowing there weren't friends anymore but when Mads found out she gave me an ultimatum.

He stopped talking after that looking down at Dixie's legs on his lap. "What did she say." "She basically told me if I marry her I lose my sister."

"Noah don't do it." "Madison I love her I don't know why you don't understand that." "I do understand but--" "But what, what are you gonna do, you two don't have to be best friends for me to marry her, she's the love of my life she's the only girl for me I want to be with her Madison I'm sorry if that cuts into you trying to ruin my life." "Im not trying to ruin anything." "Yes you are now if you'll excuse me I have a wedding to get to." Noah walked to the door of the room opening it before looking back at Mads. "Noah if you do this." She started looking him dead in the eyes. "You're no longer my brother." "What you're not gonna be my sister anymore." "That's right."

Dixie wrapped her arms around Noah holding him in an embrace that meant "I'm here." Noah still hadn't looked at her and she didn't force him to, she knew what it was like to lose a sibling especially one you love so much it hurts. "I didn't know what I had until I lost her," Noah said barely above a whisper. Dixie felt for him she didn't want him to feel as though he had no one.

"Noah."

She said softly kissing his cheek and letting his head rest on her chest. "You know I'm here for you right." "Yea I know." "Are you sure because I really need you to know that an--" "Dixie, I'm sorry." "Sorry? Sorry for what Noah you did nothing wrong." She said looking down to where his eyes were on her shoulder. "I'm sorry for putting you through this drama I never meant for this to happen--" Dixie stopped his sentence with a kiss on his lips "Noah you don't have to apologize you never have to apologize not to me."

"Promise."

"Promise."