Thirty Nine

Kaen's POV

Two more days have gone by and Ashling still hasn't woken up. I'm getting really fucking worried now. It's been almost a week... and nothing has changed.

"Hey... are you sure you don't want to go home? Sleep in your own bed for a night? Or you could come stay at my place if you don't want to be home alone."

"It's not my bed if Ashling isn't in it beside me. I'm not leaving this hospital until she wakes up."

Del slightly smiles at me, "What?"

"Nothing. It's just nice to hear you still have faith that she'll wake up, and that you haven't given up yet."

"I have to." I scoff, "She believed in me, time and time again, but I couldn't do the one thing I told myself I had to do— I couldn't protect her. I couldn't fucking save her. She's lying here in this bed right now, because of me. And I'm never going to forgive myself for it."

Tears begin forming in my eyes as I vent to Del, trying my best to hold them back.

How could I let this fucking happen? It wasn't supposed to be like this. Our life together was so perfect, everyday felt like paradise. And now look at where we're standing.

"Kaen... it's not your fault. It was Ment—"

"It is my fault, D." My voice was raised as a spoke, "If I had just gone outside with her while she was on the phone..."

"Kae—"

I rub away the tears in my eyes and scoff, "You know... I tried to imagine a world without Ashling... and I fucking couldn't. I couldn't imagine living my life without her. She's become a part of me— she's my person, a-and my soulmate... I don't think I would be able to even exist without her. She's never once given up on me, so I won't give up on her, either. She's strong. Stronger than I could've ever hoped to be. I love her, so fucking much, D. I can't... I can't lose her."

He pulls me into a hug, and we stand in silence as I quietly cry into his shoulder. He doesn't say anything, but knows that he doesn't have to.

"You tryna steal my boyfriend from me, Del?"

Her raspy voice causes both of our heads to shoot up, "Ash... oh my god."

My heart is beating faster than it ever has, all in pure relief. I sit down on the bed with her, gently hugging her fragile body, "Hi, baby..." Her voice was scratchy and low as she spoke.

"Hi, my love."

I speak to her with more tears in my eyes, while smiling at the same time.

"I'll go get the doctor."

"You have no idea how happy I am to hear your voice again. I've missed you so much." I plant gentle kisses on her forehead, and linger my head on hers for a minute.

"I missed you, too. I'm so sorry I couldn't wake up sooner. I tried so hard to, but I just couldn't."

"Shh, it's okay. You're awake now, that's all that matters."

The doctor walks in followed by Del, "Glad to see you're awake, Ms. Ninomae. How are we feeling?"

"I'm... okay, I think? My head hurts, along with my whole body, but it's nothing unbearable."

"Do you remember what happened?"

She looks at me, "I think so. I was hurt by Menticide, the villain. We got into a fight."

"Good, at least your memory seems to be intact. We're going to run some tests, make sure everything's okay. I'm afraid you boys are going to have to leave for a bit."