Thirty

Ashling's POV

"Mom, are you almost ready? I have to be at the school by 4:30."

"Yes, sorry! I just need to put my shoes on." My mom yells from upstairs.

We're about to leave for graduation. I can't believe the day has already come... it feels like I just got here. So much has happened since I moved here months ago, the time really just flew by without any of us even noticing.

"Okay, ready— oh, my gosh! My baby, look at you!"

"Mommm, you better not start crying."

She hugs me and sniffles into my shoulder. "I didn't even graduate yet and you're already crying."

"I'm sorry, I can't help it. I'm just so proud of you. You've been through so much, sweetie. And I know it hasn't been easy. I'm just so happy that we've finally made it to this day. I love you, my Ashling." She hugs me again.

"I love you, too, Mom. But we seriously need to go."

"Right. Come on!"

The school was decorated with all of these balloons and banners, all in purple and white, which are our school colors. The girls are wearing the purple cap and gowns and the guys are wearing white. It turns out that Kaen and I are sitting right next to each other, which is perfect. He wasn't even going to come to graduation since he hadn't been in school, but now he is.

I make my way through the large crowd of students to try and find my friends, and finally I do.

"Hey!"

"Ash!" Akita hugs me. "I can't believe we're graduating. This is insane."

"I know, time fucking flies. I'm happy though, we can finally live our lives outside of school."

"Me, too."

"Hey babe, Blue." Del nods at us as him and Kaen walk up.

"Hey, Del. Hey, baby."

Kaen kisses me, causing Akita's jaw to drop. "What the hell? Are you guys back together?!"

"That'd be correct."

"Oh, my god! This really is the best day ever. Lemme guess... prom house?"

"Yep."

"Aww! Look at us, besties, bros, couples. Wait— this means we can go on double dates!"

Kaen and Del both groan at Akita's idea. "Oh, come on! I think it would be so fun!"

"I mean, we've never really gotten the chance to all hangout together, since Kaen and I were in bit of rocky conditions... but now we can. I think it'd be fun, too."

Kaen looks at me, "You're right. I guess we can."

"Yay!"

"Everyone listen up! We're going to be heading onto the field now, so please get in a neat line in alphabetical order, if you can. We went over everything at rehearsal so this should be a piece of cake." Our Vice Principal tells us.

"Great, I wasn't at rehearsal."

"Don't worry, you're sitting next to me."

"Wait, really?"

"Yeah. Turns out there's nobody with a last name in between us, how great is that? Anyway, just watch everyone else first and follow what they do. It's easy— you just walk up there when they call your name, grab your diploma, shake some people's hands, take a picture then come back here. Like I said, just watch what everyone else before us does."