Twenty One

Kaen's POV

I've been ignoring everyone's messages all day, including Ash's. She even knocked on my door earlier too, but I didn't answer.

What those people said earlier... it's been replaying in my head all day. Ash told me that I wasn't a monster... but I can't help but feel like I am. I never cared what anyone said about me before... but things are different now.

Suddenly, someone knocks on my door.

"Kaen, it's me. Open the door. I know you're home."

It's Del. I don't really want to see him either, honestly.

"Come on, bro. Open up."

Nope.

I hear the lock click, followed by the door swinging open.

"What the hell?"

"Did you really forget that I have a key?"

I sigh, "What do you want, Del?"

"It's after nine and you haven't said a word to anyone all day. I wanted to come check on my friend."

"I'm a big boy, D. I can take care of myself. I'm fine."

He walks in and closes the door.  "We both know that's a lie. What's wrong? Ash is really worried... you should at least let her know you're okay and not dead."

"Except I'm not, Del."

He sits down next to me on the couch, "What's wrong?"

"Fuck... I don't even want to talk about it."

"It seems like it's bothering you... a lot... just tell me."

I sigh, "Fine. Earlier at school, I decided to skip class because I just wasn't in a good mood."

"Okay..."

"And I heard a few people talking about Ash and me."

"Ohh... I see."

"They said that I was too dangerous for her, and that I would hurt her some day. My blood was fucking boiling, D. I wanted to walk over there and tear them apart... but all I would be doing is proving them right."

He gives me a sympathetic look, "But you know it's not true, so why do you care so much?"

"They were calling her stupid for being with me, and that she deserves whatever happens to her. How fucked up is that? Even Ryder thinks that I'm no good for her. I don't give a fuck what they call me, but I won't let anyone talk or think bad about her just because of me. I won't. She doesn't fucking deserve it."

I can tell that he doesn't really know what to say, and I don't blame him.

"You know... I never told you this, but before we started actually dating... she came to my house one day. It was after I told you that I was already in love with her, and when I didn't go to school those few days. She came over because she was worried about me, just like always. I told her we couldn't be together because I'm destructive and dangerous... a monster. But she refused to believe any of it. She told me that she would never be scared of me, that she just wanted to be there for me."

"Well, that's a good thing, isn't it?"

"I knew she was going to have to deal with the repercussions of my fire... and it's not fair to her. It's not fair that everyone is talking shit about her and she has no idea. It's not fair that she's being called stupid because of me. And it's not fair that she's getting called a bad person for being with me."