Twenty Two

"What? No... you're... you're lying."

"You wanna use your stupid affinity on me to check? Why would I lie about something like that?"

"But... but Kaen... I thought..."

"Whatever you thought, is wrong."

"How could you do this to me? After everything we've been through..."

"I don't want you in my life anymore. That's how. So just get out."

**One day earlier**

Ashling's POV

I kind of wanted to go to Del's party tonight, but not if Kaen isn't going to be there. It would've been our first party as a couple... I wonder what plans he has that he can't go; he didn't mention anything to me.

To be honest, he's been acting strange the past few days. Everything was fine on Monday, but now things are just weird. He's barely texted me, and didn't walk in the halls with me. We haven't hung out at all, either. It's like we're back to how we used to be in the beginning... and I don't like it.

I think I'll just sit home tonight and maybe clean my room and watch a movie. What a "great" Friday night.

"Hey, hun, is everything okay? You seem down."

"Oh... yeah, I'm fine. It's just Kaen... he's been acting weird."

"Oh, no. That doesn't sound good."

"Yeah... I don't know what's up with him."

"I'm sure everything's fine. You said that he gets like this sometimes, right? Maybe he's just in a funk. It happens to all of us."

"Yeah... guess you're right. I'm sure it's nothing."

I didn't believe the words that came out of my mouth. Something was definitely wrong. I didn't want to tell her everything, and I still haven't even told her that I used my wings. I know she'll just freak out and get worried, so I'm keeping it a secret. I just really hope that everything is okay with Kaen... and us.

**The next day**

I wake up with my head pounding, and my eyes dry.

I stayed up pretty late last night, thinking about Kaen. It resulted in me crying, because I was just so worried about him. It also led to me overthinking like crazy, and convincing myself that I did something to upset him. My mind sure is a dangerous place sometimes.

He never texted me goodnight... and I woke up to no good morning text, either. I know it sounds silly, but he's always said it. Even these past couple of days when we didn't talk much, he still said good morning and goodnight. Which made me worry even more.

"Hey, sweetheart. You hungry?"

Not in the slightest, but I have to eat or else she'll suspect something.

"Just a little bit. I'm just going to have some fruit."

"Oh, alright. By the way, I have a work thing tonight, so I'll be home pretty late."

"Oh, okay."

**Later that night**

The rest of the day goes by in a blur as I lay on my bed, still no message from Kaen. I debated on driving over his place, but decided against it. I don't want to bother him... but I'm really getting worried.