Twenty Four

Ashling's POV

The days passed by feeling like weeks. It's somehow Friday once again, making it one week since he broke up with me. I haven't been to school since Tuesday, I told everyone I was sick. It's not a total lie since I have felt like shit ever since... but still. I've barely eaten anything, and all I've done is sleep. I haven't even been doing my schoolwork. Mr. Asano emailed me saying he was worried about me... I wonder if Kaen told him.

Kaen.

I haven't seen or spoken to him since Monday, when I briefly saw him while walking to my car. This is the longest we've gone without contact since I've known him, and it fucking sucks. I've grown so attached to him in such a short amount of time, but I couldn't help it. When it comes to love, I don't really think time exists. You don't need to know someone forever to be in love with them. You feel it in your heart, your head, your stomach... literally everywhere. And you feel like you're floating. This past week has just been such a blur. I thought I was hurt when I went through all that shit back in Frostford... but this hurts more than all of that combined. I just don't want to feel like this anymore.

Akita wanted to come by today and bring me some soup, so I told her she could. I think I'm going to tell her what happened... and it's not going to be easy. She's very protective of me, and I know that the second she finds out what he did to me, she's going to want to murder him. But, she deserves to know. She's my best friend and I don't want to keep anymore secrets from her than I already am.

I told her I left the door unlocked so I wouldn't have to get up when she got here, and I'm startled when she walks into my room.

"Hey, sicky. How ya' feeling?"

"Better, thanks. I'll probably come back on Monday."

"Yay! I'm still bummed that you had to be moved out of our class... it's so boring there without you."

I chuckle at her, "I know, me too. Are you going to Del's tonight?"

"Yeah, course. I should actually be there now, but bringing you soup was more important. I wish you could come."

"Trust me, I'd do anything to feel better and get out of this bed if I could."

Not exactly lying on that one.

We talk for a little bit more as she catches me up on anything I've missed in school, but she hasn't brought up Kaen at all... which is strange.

It's hard trying to act like I'm okay, but she's not an idiot. You can see it all over my face that I'm not okay.

"Ash? Ash!"

"What? Sorry... I was zoned out."

"Clearly," she laughs, "Hey, let me ask you... are you okay?"

"Well, I'm sick so I mean—"

"No, not that..." she sighs, "You haven't seemed like yourself lately. And neither has Kaen. Did something happen?"

Guess now's a better time than ever to tell her.

My breathing increases and I look away as I start to feel tears forming in my eyes. I swallow the lump in my throat, "We broke up."

Her eyes fall, "Wow... so it is true."

"What?"

"I didn't want to say anything to you before asking, but people in school were saying that you guys broke up. I asked Del about it, but he said he didn't know anything. And then once you stopped showing up to school, and Kaen started acting like a real fucking dick again... I kinda just knew."