6 - Heavy

Grace Woods

My phone was ringing like crazy, it's not my alarm. It was seven in the morning, this cannot be happening.

It was Ash.

"Morning Ash, thank you for waking me up this early on a Friday." I said, trying to wake up properly.

"I have a deal for you" he ignored my complaining.

"What kind of deals?" I asked, that was confusing.

"You know the agency that I'm working with"

"Yeah" I said, trying to remember.

"They're looking for a band. And you're our drummer."

"Wait, what? What band?" I asked again, what does that have anything to do with me?

"It's actually for a songwriter and now they're looking for another guitarist and a drummer. It's perfect for you and we can work together again. Please say yes."

"Ash I'd love to but I've never done something this serious. I'm sorry I can't-" I didn't even get to finish my sentence before he interrupted me.

"That's bulshit! You can, I know you can. You told me that when I first got into something serious and I know you can do it. Come on Grace, it's a good opportunity. I'm sure them and you, us, look I mean we're all gonna love it Don't waste it"

"Okay, okay I'll think about it"

***

Did I say I'll think about it? Yes

Am I going to a café to meet this songwriter? Yes

I mean it's really a good opportunity. I have nothing to lose; if this didn't work I still can go back and play at the club. And maybe even go back to singing.

But for my surprise. For my very beautiful, amazing, breathtaking luck. Harry was there.

The universe hates me.

"This is your friend" He said with a smile, looking at Ash.

"Yes, she's really good. We worked at a bar together before"

"It's a club not a bar"

"Yeah, a club, sorry"

The poor thing, he didn't know about my past with Harry. And I let out my anger on him.

"I'd be happy to work with you Miss?" He said, holding out his hand.

Son of a bitch acted like he didn't even know me.

Fine. If you want to play this game Harry, then go on

"Woods" I faked a smile.

"Miss Woods" He said, shaking my hand.

Well, I wasn't taking this seriously but now that Harry is included, I'm not backing down.

Wait! How am I going to tell Aidan about all of this now?

***

We went out for lunch. This is the best way to tell him about everything.

"Remember the guy I told I'd meet today for work." I said, cutting my steak

"Yeah you said he works with one of your friends, Ash?"

"Yes, Ash. Well the thing is that the guy is Harry" it sounded more like a whisper.

"What guy is Harry?" he calmly asked.

"The songwriter" I said, trying my best not to make eye contact with him.

"He's a songwriter now?" he chuckled

"Yeah, and now he's working on his own career as a musician. That's why he's looking for a band"

"And he wouldn't find a band anywhere but in Carolina? Here? With you?" he didn't sound mad or angry, he sounded... interested

"I don't know"

"I don't think it's fair" he said, taking a sip from his drink.

"How?" I was totally confused.

"He got everything he ever wanted and you didn't. He got to finish college, got a job, be a songwriter and a musician now. He did all of this after he left you years ago. This isn't fair."

I didn't say anything. If Aidan is trying to make me hate Harry even more, he's very much succeeding. I wasn't jealous of Harry or what he had accomplished. I was mad that he left and did all of that without me. It was our dream, our childhood dream.

"But don't worry babe, you got me. I believe in you. You deserve this, you deserve better than what he has. This is your chance, take it."

He was so calm. It scared me.

Harry is a sensitive topic in our relationship. We don't talk about him. But now, how Aidan was acting when he met Harry and everything he's saying now is actually terrifying.

He's the jealous kind, overprotective and he gets mad easily. But he changed this past year. I feel like I don't know him anymore, maybe I never did.