Chapter 1.5

Ling Xia raced along the street, and Chu Yan's gang was hot on his tail. Ling Xia wondered when they would realize that chasing him with a car would be faster and go back. "Let's get in a car!" he heard one of the gang members say. 'Right on cue,' he thought and lightly laughed. Now he could go in between the houses, and they would have to get out of the car to chase him. He glanced back and saw that the gang members had gotten inside the car, and he swerved left into a gap between two houses. This was a shortcut to Li Ming's street.

He reached Li Ming's street in no time and ran along the side of the street that had Li Ming's house, trying to open every door on the way to not attract attention to Li Ming specifically.

Of course, none of them were unlocked, and Ling Xia soon arrived at Li Ming's doorstep and pushed open the door to get in. He locked the door behind him and peeked through the windows to see a few flashlights directed towards Li Ming's house. Ling Xia smirked. That meant they probably saw him try to enter the other houses.

He opened the door to Li Ming's backyard and threw the clothes he was wearing on the ground. He was wearing clothes underneath, thankfully. He then opened the backyard fence gate, making it seem like he ran into the woods.

As the final measure, Ling Xia went back into the house to grab a pair of plastic gloves he had ready and removed the gloves he was wearing. Then, he put on the plastic gloves and ripped off the pads of the cloth gloves. Other than the pads, which gave him a good grip earlier, the rest of each glove was made of cloth that had fine holes everywhere, so if Chu Yan's gang somehow found the gloves and turned them inside out to get his fingerprints, they would be unrecognizable.

He threw the pads of the gloves into the trash can, underneath many other things also in it. He threw the other part of the cloth gloves into the recycling bin underneath the mound of newspaper. Who would check there for gloves, right? Then, he took off his plastic gloves and also placed them into the trash can, but this time, on top of all the other things.

Ling Xia let out a puff of air. Everything was set. And, yes, he had all of this planned in case somebody saw him, which was why he was fairly calm when somebody spotted him. The pounding on the door that was there every step of the way suddenly became all too loud, but he ignored it and went to sleep. How could Li Ming, a person who usually slept very deeply, wake up just because of a little noise?

The next day, Ling Xia opened the door to leave for school only to find two very conspicuous people perched on the doorstep. "Excuse me?"

The two people whipped around when they heard Ling Xia speak and stood. "Hello, may we ask what your name is?"

"My name is Li Ming. Who's asking?" Ling Xia responded, jokingly making use of a classic villain line. The two people stared at Ling Xia as if he was an idiot for a second before regaining their composure.

"We're with the police, and yesterday, a person entered your house after stealing something from another person's house. We have reason to believe one of the people in this house is the criminal, and we have a warrant to search this house." They handed a piece of paper to Ling Xia.

Ling Xia knew exactly what a search warrant looked like, and this was not it, but he couldn't say anything. Then again, he also knew the two people in front of him were not in any way related to the police, but he also had to keep his mouth shut.

"Okay, come in." Ling Xia moved away from the door and let the two people enter the house.

The two searched around a little before turning to ask Ling Xia, "Are there any other people in this house?"

"Yes, my brother is upstairs sleeping. I can go wake him up if you need."

"Please do."

Ling Xia woke up Li Ming's brother and they both went back downstairs together. "These two officers want to ask us some questions."

One of the officers briefly explained the situation to Li Ming's brother and asked him what his name was. "I'm Li Qing, and the back door over there is unlocked, which never happens, so that might be where the criminal escaped from." Ling Xia was surprised that Li Qing figured that out so easily, but he knew that, to the other two, it just made the Li household more suspicious.

Ling Xia looked over to the back door and, as if he just noticed it, pointed out the clothes on the ground. "It looks like there are some clothes there too. Those might be the criminal's." His words were an even bigger reason for doubt, but, at the same time, if one piece of evidence came up implying that they were innocent, the rest of the details would also be clear of suspicion.

All four people went onto the deck and one of the two 'officers' picked up the clothes. There was nothing wrong with them, they were intact and normal. The only thing off was that they were all black. The 'officer' turned to Ling Xia and told him that they would be taking these clothes in for examination and finally noticed the open gate. "Why is that gate open?"

Ling Xia and Li Qing shared a look and shrugged. "We have no idea."

The two gang members looked outside the fenced-off area and found a lot of trees behind it. "This is probably where the criminal escaped to," one gang member whispered to the other. "The criminal probably knows this area well." They stopped talking quietly and loudly asked if any random gloves were found in the house.

Ling Xia and Li Qing once again said that they had no idea. The two gang members then went into the house again, with the clothes, and searched the trash can. They instantly found the pair of plastic gloves Ling Xia planted there. "Why are there gloves here?"

Ling Xia put on a confused face, but then a flash of recognition passed through his eyes. "Those are the gloves that I used yesterday when handling the meat."

The gang members looked at Li Qing for confirmation that this was indeed true, and Li Qing nodded. "Do you have any leftovers to prove that these gloves were used for meat?"

"The gloves literally have meat on them, what else do you want?" Li Qing sarcastically asked. The two gang members were shocked because of the display of hostility that Li Qing previously kept under wraps. "Brother, these people are obviously not the police. They're just here to snoop around! They need to be kicked out!"

But Ling Xia still wanted to be cleared of suspicion. He frowned and defended his decision. "They gave me a warrant to search the house."

"Let me see that warrant. It's probably not real." Li Qing hoped that his bluff would make the two intruders scared and leave. He had no clue what a warrant looked like. The gang members, unfortunately, called his bluff and gave him the warrant. Li Qing reluctantly nodded, and let the two do their work.

"We have some food in the fridge from last night." Ling Xia took it out, and, just like he planned, there was meat in it. The two gang members were still suspicious, so they looked around the house for Mu Ninghua's diary. Not finding it, they decided to give up and give the Li household the benefit of the doubt because one of them had gotten a text from Chu Yan that the person that lived here was Mu Ninghua's friend and was probably harmless.

"Alright. You can go to school now."

"You took up so much of my brother's time, how is he going to get to school in time, now?"

"Not our problem, kid." They left the house as quickly as they came. This display showcased the difference between police officers and gang members. Gang members were much more ruthless.

Ling Xia didn't mind, though. In fact, he wanted the gang members to not take him to school. He reassured Li Qing that he wouldn't be late and left the house with his bicycle.

Notes:

Going to use the US's system for house searches.

The author has something to say:

Hehe, I'm still using the 'the author has something to say' phrase. 

Whatever, that's not important. What's important is that you vote and comment!

Lol, I almost wrote 'like and subscribe'; I've been watching youtube too much.