Crossing the line pt. 2

This is part two to my last story
————————————————————
Nano was driving under the dark blue sky, the sun had almost gone down. He knew exactly where to go, but he was nervous. The last time he came even close to Carla's house, the consequences were devastating. So now he was just driving around in her neighborhood, not daring to make the turn that leads into her street. He knew he needed to fix this, but he didn't even know how, or if he wanted to. Maybe his mom and brother are right, maybe he was to blame just as much as her, but he couldn't turn his feelings about her off. The turn that lead into her street was approaching again. "Man up." He whispered to himself. He was about to pass the turn once again, but then he abruptly steered to the left, finally driving into her street.

He started driving slower when he saw the gate of her house approaching closer. He didn't really have a plan on how he was going to do it, he couldn't just ring the doorbell. But luckily for him, it seemed like he didn't need to. Carla was sat on the sidewalk in front of her gate. She looked into the yellow headlights, seeing the old red car drive slowly up the street. The car was close to just falling apart, the headlights flickered, the engine made a weird noise, and when it came to a stop, the breaks squeaked.

Carla looked up, expecting to see Samuel stepping out of the car, but to her disappointment, Nano appeared. She rolled her eyes, she wasn't ready to go for round 2, she just needed to be left alone. "What are you doing here?" Carla asked, still sitting on the sidewalk and not planning to move. Nano could clearly see she had been crying, he really didn't care. "We need to talk." He said as he stood before her with his hands crossed over his chest. Carla looked up at him and raised her eyebrows "Because our last conversation went that great?" She asked. Nano really hated how sassy she acted, why couldn't she just talk to him like they were equals?

"Look, I'm not here to pick another fight." Nano said. "Why are you here then?" Carla said. She knew she shouldn't act so defensive with him, but she felt ashamed. He made her break, something not a lot of people had done, but now she felt embarrassed. So she was acting like nothing happened, like she was somehow untouchable.

Nano sighed, he knew this conversation wasn't going to be easy, but holy fuck. "Because we hate each other, probably more after what happened tonight. But Samuel loves you, and I don't want to see him upset. So here I am." Nano said. Carla let her front down again, she felt so bad about everything that had gone down tonight. She let her head fall and looked at the ground. Nano took it as a welcoming sign. Well, maybe not welcoming, but at least she was tolerating him.

He looked around, there was no soul to be found in these streets, it was dead silent. "Why are you sitting on this curb when you have a literal mansion behind you?" Nano asked, still standing in front of her. Carla rolled his eyes, this guy had no filter, no refinement to his words, juts bluntness. She looked up at him, giving him an annoyed look. "Because it's so comfortable." She just said, not wanting to give him the real answer. Nano had no idea what her problem was, but he wasn't willing to bicker over a curb, they had bigger fish to fry.

He sat down next to her, rubbing his butt over the hard curb. "You're right, one of the more comfortable curbs I have sat on, 10 out of 10." He said with a grin. Carla looked at him and sniggered. "I know, even the curbs in this neighborhood are nicer." She clapped back. Nano chuckled, she was funny, but he knew that already, he could tell from her insults.

They sat in silence for a second, both not knowing where to start. Nano scratched his neck, feeling already very uncomfortable about what he was about to say. "First, I uhm- I wanted to apologize for earlier. I might have gone a bit too far." He said. "You might??" Carla asked. Nano sighed, she was already nit picking his words. "I went too far, and I'm sorry. Happy?" He said, feeling on edge. He didn't apologize often, and certainly not to her, so this felt strange. "Ecstatic." Carla sarcastically retorted.