Chapter 43: Space Exploration (First Mission)

Start from the beginning

*time skip brought to you by 'Adventures In Light Distortion'*

    The gems gave you the chance to drop your things off at your house before heading over to Peridot and Lapis' place. You wanted to keep your sword on you, of course, figuring it might just come in handy, but Pearl pulled you to the side, assuring you that you wouldn't need it. You shrugged, trusting the gem and leaving it safely locked behind your front door. You were standing next to Amethyst by the ship, slightly leaning against the quartz as Peridot set the ship up for your trip. You weren't listening to the small, green gem, but were more concerned about who would look after Sarge for you. Steven had suggested that Lapis and Peridot could do it; but you weren't entirely sure how you felt about the gem who had kept Jasper trapped in a fusion for months, watching your dog. You sighed softly, earning a glance from Amy. "Hey, the little guy will be fine," she reassured, squeezing your arm.
    "Sorry, Connie, but we just can't wait," you heard Steven say from your left. You gasped softly, making eye contact with the teenage boy as he spoke to his best friend. "Dad's in trouble, and we need to go into space to get him back." He then sighed softly, turning. "There's no time! We're going right now. Just—protect Beach City for me while we're gone. And also, could you keep an eye on (y/n)'s puppy? She looks really worried." You smiled softly at him, and he returned the gesture, looking back over at the gems.
    "So, if I input the coordinates, it'll take us right there," Pearl asked Peridot.
   "It's a little more complicated than that," the green gem said with her hands on her hips.     "These aren't your Era One Light Kites. You're gonna be pretty much, bending reality, if you turn on the gravity engine. Come to think of it...I should really change the ruby preferences on that too."
    "So what, so it's red! Come on, come on, we gotta go", Steven yelled, running into the spaceship.
    "Rubies aside, will it fly," Pearl asked, looking at Peridot. You yawned, stretching before bending down to pet and kiss your dog.
    "Short answer? Yes", Peridot replied.
    "I'll see you later, Sarge. Be a good boy, okay? I promise when I come back, I'll spend as much time with you as possible", you said to him, kissing his nose.
    "Okay, let's go," Amy said, grabbing your arm and pulling you onto the ship. You looked back at your puppy, his amber eyes glowing brightly in the sunlight. Once Garnet stepped in, the ruby ship took off, quickly leaving the Earth's atmosphere. Your (e/c) eyes were glued to the windows around you, admiring the stars.
   "Whoa...," you said quietly to yourself. It's beautiful.
   "Don't worry, Dad...we're on our way", you heard Steven say from beside you.
    "Think I should've texted my mom before we left," you asked Amethyst. The quartz shrugged, and you sighed, leaning back in your seat.
    "I hope he got to see some of this. There's enough out here for a whole album about the cosmos." You smiled softly at the half-gem, your smile faltering seconds after when the ship began to shake. You gripped the arms of your seat, turning your head slightly to look at Pearl.
   "Space turbulence," she said, causing you to turn back around and look back out the window in front of you.
   "Space turbulence? It looks like we're in the asteroid belt", you said, turning back to look at the gem driving the ship with furrowed eyebrows.
    "Hold on," Pearl said, guiding the ship away from the large rocks flying towards it.
     "Alright," Steven said, standing and running over to the gems, "How much longer til—" He was cut off by the sound of something hitting the ship. You turned to see a gem, which you assume was a ruby, flattened on the window in front of everyone. You watched as she was knocked off and floated back into space, two more hitting the same glass next. "Sorry, Rubies," Steven said with a sigh.
   "We should really do something about them," Garnet said calmly.
    "We can pick them up on the way back. Dad comes first! How much longer 'til we get there," he asked Pearl again.
   "Well...at our current speed, we should be reaching the human zoo in...approximately seventy human years!"
    "What," you screamed, standing up to go over to the rest of the crew.
   "Just in time for Greg's one-hundred and tenth anniversary of being alive," the pale gem spoke cheerfully.
   "Pearl," Steven whined, "My dad's not healthy enough to live that long!"
   "Neither am I," you protested, crossing your arms.
   "Uh...do you think he'll be able to make it to one-hundred and nine," she asked, placing a finger on her cheek. You deadpanned, facepalming a moment later.
    "Before we left," Garnet started, interjecting, "Peridot did mention a gravity engine."
   "Oh yeah, she said it bends reality," Amethyst added. You peeked over your fingers, looking at Pearl.
    "Oh, I'm sure she was exaggerating," Pearl said with an eye roll.
    "Peridot doesn't seem like the type to exaggerate," you said with a chuckle. Pearl scoffed, a playful smirk on her lips.
   "It probably just alters the definition of speed by manipulating space-time." You hummed, nodding. "But what effect will that have on organic matter? It might flatten Steven and (y/n)'s bodies into a pancake of skin and bones!"
   "I like pancakes, but not like that," you said, crossing your arms.
   "Ew," Amy replied, "bones are gross."
   "You have bones in your bedroom," Garnet countered, looking at the smaller gem.
   "That's different. Those are my bones." You rolled your eyes, laughing.
     "Well, excuse me for being a meat sack that needs bones to stand upright."
   "If being a pancake means saving my Dad, then bring on the syrup," Steven yelled before smacking his hand on the screen in front of Pearl. Your (e/c) eyes widened, but before you could say anything, you felt like your body was being stretched, painfully before you blacked out.