40

Calum

"Dr Hood, a Dr Fahri is on the phone for you,"

"Please get Dr Irwin to answer, and let them know I will be there in two minutes,"

"Dr Irwin is in surgery,"

"Mr Hemmings then, please,"

"Okay,"

I opened the door to the labour delivery room and put gloves and a gown on, heading across to give the baby a quick check-up. I listened to his heart and checked his mobility, then checked his eye movement and gave him a smile.

"Is he okay?"

"He is beautiful!" I said, gently lifting onto the scales, "7 pounds on the dot. He will have a thorough checkup in a bit, but you can hold him first,"

I wrapped him in a blanket and passed him over, helping his mum support his head. He was so small, and precious, and innocent. No hardships of the world had met him yet, and he had a clean slate.

"Everything seems good so far, I'll let you guys have some peace,"

I removed the gloves and gown and head out their room, practically running down to the classrooms to find Luke. This was the first time I had heard from Sage, and if I wasn't a paediatrician, I probably wouldn't have been afraid to knock a few people down on the way to get there.

Out of breath, I entered Luke's office and he gave me a smile, passing the phone to me. Then, he pushed me down onto his seat and poured me some water as I breathed heavily.

"Sage?"

"Yeah,"

"Hey darling. It's good to hear from you!"

"I just had lunch,"

"What did you have?"

"Some vegetable soup. Yours is way better though,"

"You can have some when you come home. How are you feeling?"

"I know you're worried about this morning, but it's okay. I had a nightmare, and I feel shaken up, but I told Dr Fahri things I haven't ever told anyone, and he told me that my reaction was normal. It's just because I came out of a safe room, please don't bring me home yet,"

"You can stay, darling, I just want you to know you have my full support no matter how upset or scared you get,"

"Thank you,"

"What about everything else? How has that been?"

"I went to group therapy this morning,"

"You did? Oh that's fantastic, Sage," I said, feeling the pit in my stomach grow smaller. My mind had been racing about how they were doing, and how they were feeling. I struggled to focus on myself.

"This boy Rory convinced me to go. He's my friend, I think. We're very different, he talks a lot,"

"Sometimes that's good though. I'm trying to get you some school work to do so you should have your day a bit more filled,"

"Okay. We just made a compromise, that if I could sleep tonight with someone in my room, then they would start making it so someone checked on me every 30 minutes, then every hour, until I could sleep alone,"

"That sounds like a good compromise,"

"Because I don't wanna sleep in a safe room again,"

"That's fair enough,"

"How is Rider?"

"Rider misses you, but he is glad you're getting some help. You can see him tomorrow can't you? We will work out the dentist appointment,"