14

Calum

"You let Rider sleep in your bed?"

I woke with a start, squinting my eyes to focus on Gia, who had her bottom lip out and arms folded.

"No I didn't- what?"

"He is in your bed,"

"Well he didn't have my permission, I will talk to him. Are you ready for school?"

"Luke is parked outside,"

"Do you want to go with him? I can take you,"

"Everyone is still sleeping. Luke said we can get breakfast,"

"You opened the door?"

"The window,"

I got out of bed and put the duvet over Rider, who alarmingly didn't have the nightie on anymore, then I took Gia's hand and went downstairs.

"I really didn't know he was there, and it won't happen again,"

"Okay. I overreacted,"

"You didn't,"

"Okay,"

"Your feelings are valid, always,"

"And yours,"

As she got her shoes on, I opened the door and tilted my head, grinning when Luke poked his head out the car window.

"I had a gut feeling you would be asleep, so I am picking Gia and Ash up to grab breakfast,"

"Did you know Ashton was going?" I whispered to her, my heart warming when she nodded, "Thank you, Luke,"

"You ready love? We don't want to be late,"

I hugged her, kissing her head; she gave one back and I passed her bag to her, sighing.

"You look beautiful today. I am sorry I didn't wake up, and that a boundary has been broken. I love you so, so much, and I will take you to school tomorrow,"

"Okay. You look beautiful too,"

"Thank you," I chuckled, "Enjoy your breakfast,"

She scurried out the door and got into Luke's car, then I waved them off and watched them leave.

The guilt I felt was immeasurable, and I was really concerned that Rider had done what he did, so I boiled the kettle for a coffee and went back to my room.

"Dad,"

I jumped as he sat upright in the middle of my bed, then gave him a small smile and sat at the end of my bed.

"Rider, do you know what a boundary is?"

"Yes. Gia taught me,"

"Okay, well one of mine is that none of my kids sleep in my bed. You didn't know that, but please don't do it again,"

"I thought you would show me love,"

"I'm... well... what does that love look like? Because to me, you can show love through hugs, and listening to each other, and sharing,"

"Sage's daddy told me it was showing love if the parent... if they, they,"

He burst into tears and pulled the cover over him, Sage bursting into the room; they sat next to him and wrapped themselves round his body, hushing him.

"What happened?"

"I thought Calum would do what your dad did, to show love, but he doesn't know what it is,"